Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting to breed - some guidance please  (Read 6836 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Starting to breed - some guidance please
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:50:36 am »
Hello, I'd like to start a small breeding programme to build on a couple of New Hampshire Red cocks that I have. I'm thinking of keeping the hens as layers or selling them on and using the cocks for the table. Does anyone have experience of this breed. Can anyone give me some simple guidance on how best to get started and what equipment I might need. Obviously I'll do all the reading up but I would like some first hand experience comments from people like you.
Thanks
 :-\ :chook:

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Starting to breed - some guidance please
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:09:16 pm »
Hi shrekfeet, are you planning to use an incubator or a broody hen?  Can't give you any advice on incys but chicks hatched under broodies are generally much healthier and stronger chicks, you don't have to put in as much effort and the chicks won't imprint on you as their 'mum' - so they'll be easier to cull when it comes to eating them. The breed is supposed to be an excellent dual purpose choice, in fact I was looking quite seriously at buying a NH cockerel at a recent auction to cross with my other meat hens (I didn't, only 'cos he was looking a bit sorry for himself and had long spurs, indicating advancing years...  ;)).

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:17:47 pm »
Hello shrekfeet.
Iv'e put a bit about breeding on my web page that might help.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:48:25 pm »
Just had a look at your web site Castle Farm and was reading about breeding when I read that layers pellets have hormone chemicals. This has set my alarm bells ringing as I had to have treatment for cancer in 2007-2008, hence the aim to grow and raise our own food. Can you tell me if all layers pellets have hormone chemicals in them. :o

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:23:13 pm »
Try Allen and Page or Marriages - one or both do breeder pellets but both companies are committed to "natural" so I'd be pretty sure that they won't. If you're not sure, ask them. I wouldn't want to eat food with hormones added either.

Remember breeder and layer pellets are different.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:33:38 pm »
Thanks Rosemary will be looking into changing their feed tomorrow  :)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:50:52 pm »
Hello Sabrina.
I have feed my birds on a grain diet for years and get top quality eggs and fertile stock.
Pellets were an idea the commercial poultry industry came up with to save themselves having to mix different corns/feeds together..time savers under the guise of you must feed this or your not giving your birds the right food..Prior to that we feed on grain...mine still are and I know what goes into a sack of corn.
I'm convinced that all these chemical addatives poultry is given eventually gets into the food chain in the eggs...and I have a hunch that is why young girls start into pubity earlier...hormones in eggs.

Just read the lable on your next bag of layers or growers pellets and make your own mind up. :-*
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 12:46:44 am »
I can't remember now which thread I saw it on talking about GM foods.  I just bought pellets today and they state GM free on the bag.  It's Spillers.  Just thought I'd let folks know.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:34:37 am »
Castle farm what ratio of wheat, mais etc. do you feed to your hens?

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 10:03:07 am »
Yes I'd be interested to know what ratio you use as well.  We expected a drop in egg production when we took our chickens off layers pellets and put them on grain but luckily they have all continued laying well.  We now mix  bags of wheat, barley, oats and cracked corn in dustbins and we feed that to the chickens, geese and goats and they all seem to love it. 
Hilary

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 05:23:04 pm »
I have about 300 birds and I give them all the same feed..

50% wheat.
25%rolled barley.
25% cut maize.

at least twice a week I trickle an egg cup full of cod liver oil on a full bucket full and mix it till all the grains glisten.
You only need enough cod liver oil to make it glisten.

I use Apple cider vinegar in the water about 1 week in 4..

All my birds are glowing with health and vitality.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 05:47:12 pm »
I just checked the label of our pellets. It doesn't mention hormones (only enzymes, which is not the same, not sure what they are supposed to do in poultry food), shouldn't any additives be on the label? Or does "based on soy beans" count as a phytohormone?
I'll definitely reduce the pellets again now, although we saw a huge change in lay with our ducks after we introduced them (from 1 a week to 1 a day).

rustyme

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 06:23:32 pm »
http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

unfortunately most soy beans available are genetically modified, there is also much concern about effects that they can cause !! The link gives a good overall picture of what the concerns are . I am still reading it at the moment , but after finding out ( some time ago ) that nearly all soy beans are GM ,I decided that they were not for me. I do not want any GM food if I can possibly avoid it . I don't mind selective breeding , but not GM .  Some of what I read in the link is scarey stuff. Who gave anyone the right to put all this GM cr*p into our food chain ?. There is some non GM soy seed available , but I am doubtful even of this sadly . The whole food chain is now a mine field of chemicals , hormones , antibiotics and GM poisons . This is mainly why I now try to grow all my own food. I can't stop what falls from the sky , but I can cut out other routes of unknown or doubtful contents or breeding .

cheers

Russ

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 06:30:39 pm »
I fully a agree with you, Ross. I did ask under a different topic today, if any organic feed suppliers are known in our area - I've had no reply yet...still hoping!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:13:28 pm »
I've been in touch with the manufacturer of the layers pellets I've been using so far (Dodson & Horrell) and  their whole range of feed is GM free, although it doesn't say so on the bag (it should!).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS