Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats and sheep and toxoplasmosis  (Read 19149 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Cats and sheep and toxoplasmosis
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 10:53:11 am »
You can vaccinate lambs any time from 8 weeks old. I woudn't vaccinate them as early as 3 weeks. The point is their immune system isn't properly developed until they are 8 weeks. Its the same for any animal, dogs and even human babies get their first vaccines at 8 weeks.

I haven't hear of heptavac causing abortion before- certainly we've never had any problems, but then its always low numbers of goats and sheep we ever did. Having lost goats kids at 4 weeks old to tetanus (which was awful), I always recommend vaccinating. These kids hadn't had their mothers vaccinated before kidding because the owner didn't do it the time. She vaccinated the following year though...

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 12:07:57 am »
I don't have any more information other than rumours. around here its a case of 50percent useing covexin8 and the rest using heptevac. as for aborting ewes there are so many different causes I sometimes wonder how any sheep survive!!
Ian

kershaw

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 08:41:08 pm »
We had some trouble with dogs chasing our sheep a last year (none killed) & then had severe losses from toxoplasmosis. Is there any relationship between stress in sheep and their suseptibility to toxoplasmosis, or is it just a matter that if they get the cysts, that's it?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 10:03:42 pm »
Stress in sheep can cause them to abort, but wouldn't necessarily cause toxoplasmosis. How soon after they were chased did they abort?

We once lost a goat after kidding, and our vet wanted us to sue our next door neighbours, as she had been stressed because they had been scrambling on their motorbikes all day the day before she kidded.

Beth

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS