Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Water Management Systems  (Read 3585 times)

Foxx

• Joined Mar 2011
Water Management Systems
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:13:39 pm »
Hi All,
New to the forum, so apologies if Im asking previously answered questions.  Im just planning to start with a couple of pigs.  They will be moved regularly over the 9acres I have, and will get closer to home as they grow.  I am wondering about the best, most cost effective water systems. There is a stream nearby, but the ground is steep on the side of a Lake District fellside, and my outbuildings with mains water are 2acres from the furthest point. 
Can anyone advise the best capture system, moveable and as maintenance free as possible !

Thanks, Foxx

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: Water Management Systems
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »

How about fitting a water tank to a small trailer, then attaching a hose from this to a drinking trough fitted with a ballcock?

It's on wheels so you could easily tow it away to re-fill it or move it around the paddock.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:39:48 pm »
We capture rainwater on tin roofs, into 1000l barrels, then let gravity take it, via blue pipe, to automatic drinkers in each paddock.  With sufficient head the water will run uphill a bit.  It doesn't work in the winter when all is frozen solid - then it's buckets from the kitchen  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

luminousbrit

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Shropshire
    • Gilberries Smallholding
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:50:24 pm »
Hi all,

I will soon be having the same problem.

I have been thinking of using a 12v water pump attached to a lesiure battery that is itself connected to a solar panel.

Does anyone know of a suitable pump that can pull water up hill through an MDPE pipe from a stream to a pig trough with a ballcock?

Thank you.
Bye For Now,

Luminousbrit

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:15 pm »
I have a couple of IBCs either connected to a homemade self filling bowl or a nipple for the pigs. I either put them on the trailer and tow it home to fill via the tap or else I have a submersible pump that I can run off the tractor battery via a 350W inverter. I prefer the pump as it fills the IBC much faster than the tap

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS