Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TB testing for Goats  (Read 2246 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
TB testing for Goats
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:52:03 pm »
Just opened a letter from the Welsh Assembly stating that under new legislation coming into force 31st March camelids will be included for compensation if they are slaughtered because of TB. However , the new law does not require that they are regulaly tested like cattle are,.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: TB testing for Goats
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:52:02 pm »
Well, we have had TB among the cattle on our farm.  I have a llama and all the goats.  The llama was not in contact with the affected cows, but he regularly hobnobs with the cattle next door ......and they have badgers all over their land.  Llamas do not need ear tags, no movement forms. I did not even have to tell DEFRA I had him.  They have said there is no need for him or the goats to be TB tested - just pasteurise my milk.  5 farms round us now have TB cases.  My vet said he certainly would not be attempting to test my large male llama - and to be honest I cannot blame him.

We are now down from 4 year tests to yearly due to the outbreaks.

As to compensation, I would assume this applies to the breeders who have numerous, as I seem to remember them going on about not getting any compensation for their camelids.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS