Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dectomax, Footvax etc  (Read 5451 times)

waterhouse

Dectomax, Footvax etc
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:03:19 pm »
Should one inject against sheep scab and if so when?  And what else should I be doing in the Spring (when it arrives)?  Blue tongue seems to be being talked down but whats the view here?

What about Footvax?

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: Dectomax, Footvax etc
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:55:50 am »
If it ain't broke don't try and fix it! 

If you have scab then use dectomax if not leave it.  As for footvax speak with your vet if you have a foot/lameness issue.  Abit like the flu jab there are so many different strains or other things it could be and footvax is relatively specific.  Other things like scabivax (for orff) means introducing something which you may not have and should again be discouraged unless you have a problem.

One thing I will always do is heptavac my sheep before lambing and then  do the lambs at 3 months.  I also treat with combinex in the spring to cover for worms and fluke.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:25:07 am »
I agree and so does my vet - if you haven't got it, don't treat it. Easy to get sucked in by the doom laden adverts in the farming press.

waterhouse

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:47:39 pm »
It is easy to get paranoid.  We've been keeping sheep less than a year and have had flystrike, sheep scab and toxoplasmosis.  Perhaps we're just more used to horses, dogs, cats and chickens but they seem less disaster prone.  Mind you colic's not a lot of fun.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:01:28 am »
We've been keeping sheep less than a year and have had flystrike, sheep scab and toxoplasmosis. 

There's an old Exmoor saying.  "Sheep's only got two hobbies.  What it can eat and what it can die of."
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »
Are we not still required to do something about scab?

FWIW we use Dectomax - timing with neighbours so we dip/Dectomax at the same time - no point having sheep on the fell if not done together. If they don't mix with/neighbour with others timing less important.

Bluetongue seems to have gone quiet.

Here's our schedule: (we live in Cumbria on very wet, high land, tups in on bonfire night, lamb from 1st April)
Ewes - New year - dose for fluke. March - dose for worms, pre-lambing. 4 weeks before lambing, inject with anti-clostridial. April - dose for worms, repeat every 4 weeks over the summer, worming more or less depending on if 'mucky bums' seen or not. June - shear, Crovect pour on for flies. Repeat in Aug. Oct - Dectomax. Mid-Oct, dose for worms and fluke again (Combinex), before tups go in. Check feet and trim if needed, every time we gather.

If we lived somewhere warmer, we'd probably treat for flies earlier in the year too (maybe turnout after lambing).

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:42:51 pm »
Sheep scab is now notifiable again in Scotland but not in England. 

That's a very helpful schedule, thanks. 

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS