Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: egg boxes  (Read 11304 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: egg boxes
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 03:49:55 pm »
I too believe in recycling egg boxes ....I mean, most of them have only been used once when they get to me.  I bought new ones, and have used them all, and do not want to have to buy another big box.  At the moment all the egg boxes are out, and I have left a note in the egg box asking for their return .....so have run out now.  Left the egg box outside this morning (empty) with a note saying no more eggs until the boxes are returned please.  Will see how long it takes for the penny to drop .......but in the meantime, I have an egg mountain (well a couple of trayfulls to be honest!)

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 02:52:42 pm »
We have also run out of eggboxes. I am thinking of doing a 'special price' for people who bring their boxes back.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »
by the way ... you're not supposed to sell on eggs in second hand boxes.
save them for yourself!
Little Blue

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 10:31:34 pm »
you're not supposed to sell on eggs in second hand boxes.
Doesn't that rule only apply if you take the eggs and sell them somewhere else, as opposed to people coming to you and buying them from the kitchen door?

I remember getting in a right confusion about what I could and couldn't do if I wanted to take a few boxes along to our local food fayre to sell -such as wash the muck off them or describe them as free range.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »
Little Blue, I bought 300 egg boxes, and re-used all the ones people brought back (numerous times) and they all brought ones they had too.  If I have to use a new egg box each time, then I will be increasing the £2 per dozen charge.  I honestly think it has not crossed anyone's mind to demand a new box each time. 

We are supposed to recycle aren't we?!!!

Most of the egg boxes are clean, any grubby ones I compost.

I caught a lady bringing her empty egg boxes back in the dark tonight. Had I not been there, she would have left them by the gate, and they would have blown away in the gale force wind.  I thanked her, so pleased to have some more egg boxes.  Getting three and a half dozen eggs a day now, so need plenty of boxes :D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 11:25:16 pm »
Is it possible to sterilise (cardboard  ???) eggboxes by nucing them in the microwave?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 11:44:48 pm »
Do you know, I have wondered about that myself, but not tried it.  To me, it seems such a shame to waste boxes by chucking them after one use.  Most people carry them home from the supermarket into (hopefully) a clean kitchen, and the ones I have got back have been spotless.  To be honest, I am more worried about the cleanliness of the eggs than the boxes!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 12:15:03 am »
Is it possible to sterilise (cardboard  ???) eggboxes by nucing them in the microwave?
So you are an egg box murderer are you? ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 08:38:04 pm »
Just the germs Annie, just the germs  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Think I might start a thread on this - sterilising egg boxes- not murdering 'em  ;) ;D ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 12:11:46 am »
I can now visualise us all there at the microwave with our egg boxes now ...... :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 11:07:24 am »
Problem is you can't see the germs so you can't see if they are dead after microwaving the boxes. :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

princesspiggy

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:06 pm »
we use ascott too, they replaced a smashed incubator that arrived - with no quibbles at all, such a relief as expensive. changed hands since then but still quick service. oneday i will buy the cow bells  ...lol

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 12:43:55 pm »
Little blue is right , you are not really allowed to sell in second hand egg boxes, only if you are refilling the ones actually brought back by the customer to the door with them you can re use one. Cant think off hand if it only applies to folk with more than fifty poultry but it is true. Not really second hand Mac boxes but they are still food packaging by law. There is more detail about it law wise but dont want to lecture about the way things should be done and have been done safely for many years and Europe blah blah.

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 03:09:41 pm »
for pity sake were has the egg been. if the box is clean and your doing it from your house and your not inspected just use them no one is going to mind.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS