Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: egg boxes  (Read 11303 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
egg boxes
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:12:48 pm »
where do you buy them from?

Re: egg boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:27:44 pm »
Hi,

we used to sell them - but we had to buy 1000's to make the delivery to us worthwhile
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:33:32 pm »
I buy mine from Ascot Smallholding Supplies cause they deliver quickly , to Shetland and we buy most of our gear from them. You can buy fancy ones from other companies such as Flytes of Fancy but they are more expensive. Ebay is good for smaller amounts .

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:35:23 pm »
Hi,

and we buy most of our gear from them.

Thats you off my Christmas list Hermit  ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:36:49 pm »
o dear  :o :wave:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:37:36 pm »
cool found some on ebay - we just started selling our spares and have exhausted all the freebie boxes we begged off our friends.

50 boxes will probably do me the summer season with the ones i'll get back hopefully!!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »
Yes, Ascott is where I get mine,  but its a big box, so depends how many eggs you are expecting to have.  I have seen smaller packs in farm supply shops, and the bigger pet shops where chicken supplies are sold.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 10:39:44 pm »
e-bay here.
and I accept any offers of "recycled" boxes that I only use for the ones we keep, dirty ones, or extra large ones that don't fit in the new boxes!
  (thought having heard about the high concentration of campylobacter bacteria on the packaging of supermarket chickens, I wonder what might be lurking on their eggs...)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1350028/Food-poisoning-warning-Bacteria-OUTSIDE-chicken-packaging.html
Little Blue

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:40:00 pm »
thats a shame you gave up doing boxs you were way cheaper than ascots without the big surcharge either. Don't blame you they are really bulky.
we were told that we should get ones with the egg info on the inside of the egg boxs but i can't find them anywhere. so just stick a small bit of paper inside.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 10:44:49 pm »
Thanks Paul - You stay on my Xmas list  ;D

To be honest we had to buy them by the pallet load, to sell at a reasonable price, and they were a hell of a job to store (so bulky) - but if people prefer to go to that other place then so be it, I mean they do run a smallholding and post on here ....don't they ??

We do have a few rolls preprinted labels left for boxes (date laid etc) if you are interested.

Thanks

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:08:18 pm »
We used a smallholding type company to begin with and had lovely array of coloured boxes (expensive) and used recycled ones too.

When we ran out we got some from ebay......not colourful or fancy but 600 for £34 inc postage was great for us as we have around 24 eggs a day!!

:wave:

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »
if we go anywhere ie: veg shop, butchers or egg stall at market we usally ask if we can buy a few boxes off them usally pay about 5-10p a box
saves having to buy a lot and only usally when we run short or returned boxes
sam :chook:

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 11:56:02 pm »

I'm a bit late replying to this topic but another Ascott customer here.

I print our own labels for sticking on the lid.

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:46 am »
I ment the egg info thats ment to be on the inside.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:34 pm »
I get my boxes from Flytesoffancy.

They do great labels for them too.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS