Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy goats in Scotland  (Read 13604 times)

shiv22

• Joined Apr 2011
  • melvin
Re: Pygmy goats in Scotland
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 04:58:19 pm »
Hi, Sorry to jump in on this thread but Im really stuck! Im trying to locate a baby female to keep my current pygmy (Harriette) company.... anywhere in Scotland would be great, but I would be willing to travel almost anywhere! The only ones I have found so far are around the £250 mark which is way out of my league. My last 2 cost £75!
Any tips would be great
Thanks  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 05:06:01 pm »
Hi shiv, I just bought a baby female at exactly that price, but I also bought her aunty and another older (they're about 4/5yrs old) for £150 each - maybe you'll just have to get older company!  They came from north of Aberdeen, I can provide details if you wish but that was the standard prices I'm afraid.  Welcome to the website by the way :wave:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 10:24:14 pm »
As a breeder - not my job but hobby but it takes a lot of time & £'s - Letting out, checking, feeding, taking to billy 5 months ago, taking again if it doesn't work first time, feed, worming, lice/etc spray, vet bill for 2 kiddings, hours watching, waiting and making sure they are ok, upgrading accommodation, water buckets, hay racks, personally I am a little afraid to add up amount of money I've spent - £250 is less than the cost of a laptop and my wee goats will still be around when I've had to replace the one I'm on now 3 x over - I am not breeding to make money just a part of our wee small holding and I love them to bits -  I guess it's a bit like any other animal - if you want a registered well breed German Shepard puppy your looking at £500+ I believe - once it's 2 years old and needs a new home its a different story - but do you want the animal from as young as possible or happy with older. Over 10 years ago I bought my first owl - cost of owl £150 - cost of aviary £550 - timber self build - life span 35 years - therefore cost so look after for 35 year will be way more any initial cost - getting off soap box now but do wonder at quibbling over a few ££ when the overall cost throughout the lifetime of the animal will be way way more.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 02:14:11 pm »
Yes, quite right Brucklay...I dread to think of the money we have spent on our animals, but its a life and the joy it has given me personally is huge, worth every penny. :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

shiv22

• Joined Apr 2011
  • melvin
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 06:56:44 pm »
Absolutely!! Please dont get me wrong - I know looking after and breeding takes an awful lot of time and money, and they bring years of happiness - its just that I dont have £250 at the moment!
As luck would have it though I have been offered 2 young female  :goat: that need rehoming so everything has worked out in the end. :D
Thank you for your help
Siobhan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS