Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy goats in Scotland  (Read 13603 times)

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
Pygmy goats in Scotland
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:30:06 pm »
Hi!
Basically we are set to inherit a property with 16 acres of land- mostly woodland. My dream has always been to own two or three Pygmy goats and for the past couple of weeks have spent many hours reading all there is to know. Then husband mentioned breeding them last night- something I hadn't considered doing. First of all- is there a breeder's directory in Scotland? I would love to start a new herd but need to start somewhere with a couple/three/four? females. Would I take them to stud? Or would I keep a Billy? I have tried to find any breeders near me but there seem to be none. We're in East Lothian, Scotland. Obviously this is not a venture that is going to happen over night but I am planning for my future- any advice would be really appreciated!
Thanks

Claire  :)

HappyHippy

Re: Pygmy goats in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:16:41 pm »
Hi Claire,
Welcome to the forum  :wave:
If you'd been at Lanark market today you'd have seen 4  ;)
Unfortunately they were all billys  ::)
But they came from East Links family park, which I think, is over your way ? Give them a call maybe they can help ? But there are loads of goat keepers on here and they'll be along soon with more/better advice  ;D
Karen.

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:28:44 pm »
 :wave: Hello!

Really??? Well...perhaps I should keep views like this to myself but ...can I just say from the experiences I have had with East Links I would NEVER go near their animals- it's all about money with them. I have had hens that were supposed to be pullets but clearly weren't..hens dying within 24 hours- no refund given just the excuse of stress due to being moved (that's a 15 min car journey)- chicks that have ALL turned out to be male (wonders if he is able to sex them young and keeping females for himself..)
All very interesting- so he must be selling his male Pygmies there then....

Thanks for the info  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:56:11 pm by frustratedfarmer »

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:51:41 pm »
Ah, I didn't know any of that  :-\
It was 4 billy kids that were being sold, erm I'm out of ideas for goats now I'm afraid - but Ballingall (Beth) will be along soon with advice  ;)
If it's established woodland you've got - what about pigs ? (I'm totally biased seeing as I've got them ;)) you don't even have to having 'eating' ones - Kune Kunes make cracking outdoor 'pets' and are very affectionate  ;D Here's some photos http://www.britishkunekunesociety.org.uk/kunekunegallery.php?i=41
As youngsters they'll root about in the woodland and as they get older will survive purely on grass in the spring/summer/autumn only needing very small amounts of hard feed in the winter.
Just a thought.......................................... ;) ;D :pig: :love: :pig:
If you haven't already - you should join Central Scotland Smallholders Association. Many of the members are TAS forum users and they have loads of events, and very helpful knowlageable people on board http://www.smallholders.info/
Karen x

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:09:47 pm »
 :pig: :pig: :pig: :D

Love pigs too!
Thanks for that link will go and check it out!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:49:16 pm »
Hi Claire - I breed Pygmy goats (on a small basis - just love having them and it helps pay their way). I would say your first port of call is the breed society http://www.pygmygoatclub.org/ there's a breeders list there and I am sure there are breeders that are not on the list that you may be able to track down but that was the route I took. If you were thinking of 3-4 females to start I would say take them to stud as Billy's are VERY  SMELLY and do nothing 90% of the year - but it will come down to whether there is one near enough to you. I have 6 females and am just starting to ponder a Billy (but that's me) your situation may be different. If you want a chat PM your number and I'd gladly give you a call - I think the nearest breeder on the society list to you would be Pat Bell in the north of england and I'm in Aberdeenshire but have travelled a long way for some of my stock!! but that's what I get for living at the end of the earth!! Clare
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 11:24:02 pm »
Hello!

We are outside Falkirk so not too far from you- but we only have dairy goats. There aren't many people with pygmy goats in your area (to my knowledge). However, on Brucklay's mention of Pat Bell- he has some dairy goats booked from me this year, so he may be up in Scotland at some point (he has been up before to us a couple of times). If you were interested in stock and he had some spare, I'm sure the trip could be combined.

Beth

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:51:55 am »
Thanks Beth and Clare- will keep in touch and thanks for info

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 12:31:29 am »
Sorry- hope I didn't confuse anyone by keeping mentioing "he" when talking about Pat Bell. I normally talk to her husband Eddie, and I was thinking of him when I kept saying he!

Beth

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 04:45:35 pm »
i woudl recomend Brucklay! I have met her lovely goats, and they really are lovely. if I was getting into Pygmys I'd be knocking on her door  :)

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 06:04:28 pm »
Yep...secretly thinking Brucklay goats and set up looks fab! We're not in a position to start a herd right now so have plenty time to do my research  :)

Claire  :D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:01:30 am »
Hi there, we bought 3 pygmy females from East Links a year past Christmas and they've turned out to be pygmy crosses - smaller than normal goats but definately not pygmy and like you we have been looking for pure pygmies - its so frustrating trying to get anything north of the border - seems england and wales have lots of smallholders with all sorts of livestock and scotland is so limited and everybody lives huge distances away - we're near Lauder/Westruther (half hour from edinburgh) if you fancy a visit sometime, we've all sorts of interesting stuff here - always great to meet other smallholders - if you fancy a bit of a run in the car and some scones at the end of it - we're easy to find - keep my number 01578 718761 (Amanda).  Good luck.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 10:26:57 am »
That's brilliant Amanda- will definitely note your number. We drive through Lauder quite a lot on the way down to see relatives so familiar with that area.
I am not in the least surprised at East Links and it really makes me mad and just confirms everything I think about them.
At the moment we have a flock of chickens in our garden but that's it- but my elderly father in law has two houses and 16 acres of woodland and he has left it to us in his will  :o :o We probably wouldn't live where he is as it's too far from hubby's job etc but sell and buy somewhere here in East Lothian- so yes a long term goal but actually as I type he has been in borders general for 2 weeks getting over pneumonia and also has a broken ankle and also showing signs of dementia  :o :o Taking each day as it comes but a worrying time all round.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:05:53 pm »
Hope everything turns out for the best Claire, we're worth a visit (its a very entertaining place to say the least) we're architect/smallholders and we've made a lot of mistakes in our 4 years of smallholding (after moving out of edinburgh) which is always worth listening to as we had no-one really to offer advice (didn't know about TAS website then).  We're at a place called Dod Mill - easy to find on the B697 before the Pyatshaw picnic spot and fellow smallholders are always welcome.  All the best, Amanda (goosepimple)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 08:10:04 pm »
 Thanks Amanda  :) :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS