Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb 3 weeks old,with squits !!!  (Read 5994 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Lamb 3 weeks old,with squits !!!
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:08:48 pm »
Can anyone advise please, one of my lambs has been out in the field for a few weeks and is about 4 weeks old, the other twin is ok and all other lambs are fighting fit but this one very wet around the rear end, brown watery squits that really smell, its looking a little bit under the weather and a little thinner than the other twin, what would be your advise please? anti biotics? and a clean up? is there any remindy to help with the squits when they are so young? should I bring the ewe and other twin into the barn or would that be a mistake?

comments appreciated

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Lamb 3 weeks old,with squits !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:31:25 pm »
Suspect coccidiosis....right age right symptoms.....get sample to vet quickly
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:12:01 pm »
Just what I was about to say, coccidiosis - act quickly and get professional help.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 04:45:50 pm »
ok, should I seperate the lamb from the other twin and mother and bring in, treat and feed with bottle or bring the ewe and other lamb in with her?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 05:00:29 pm »
you will need to treat the whole lot if thats what it is....so bring her and mum and sister in or put in a small nearby paddock. But you will need to treat all the lambs based on what the vet finds in the poo count. Also to try and break the cycle you will need a prescription for lick buckets with a preventative coccidiostat in it . The coccidiosis will have been on the ground, possibly from the last lot of sheep that inhabited it, or could be bought in by other animals that carry it....its quite complicated.
However first things first....get vet to confirm
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:10:32 pm »
if you can get hold of a dose of vecoxan it wouldn't do any harm to give this asap, if it is coccidiosis then it will clear up pretty quickly and means that treatment can have started whilst you await results from vet.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:28:36 pm »
It seems that coccidiosis is on the increase. We now as a norm treat all our lambs with vecoxan after losing quite a few one year. They also have another dose a few weeks later (as advised by vet).
It is a killer and you can lose what looks like a really healthy lamb in the blink of an eye.
This is really upsetting, so my mission in life is to treat rather than lose them before they have had a chance of life.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:30:00 am by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 09:37:59 pm »
thanks for all your imput, im on the case !!!!

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 09:49:05 pm »
Kas, how many sheep do you have? Can you get it in small quantities? I looked at dosing ours but it cost a fortune for a huge bottle at our local agri store. far too much for my small flock

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 08:37:06 am »
We do buy the smallest bottle (last year cost about £100), but as well in date will last.
Try your vet, ours has supplied me in the past as he will give you enough to dose a small amount of sheep. If not a friendly farmer may help you.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:15:10 pm »
it wasnt coccidiosis, its all cleared up, try and clean....i am relieved !!!  it was a change in the feed, I changed to a diffrent brand of 18%

thanks for all your input

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 10:57:28 am »

Hi Andy :wave:
I am pleased your lamb is better.
---us hardened sheep farmers always "hope for the best !! ---but prepare for the worst"scenario
Tilly ;)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:59:39 pm »
Lesson for everyone there ANDY try never to change feed or if you must do it gradually even if from the same company.many years ago every town had a small feed mill and sometimes they changed 1or2 ingrediants in a feed it always caused big problems, today you would sue them so it never happens.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:28 pm »
yup bit stupid of me really, my local merchant who im not that happy with changed to a differant brand, he has many sheep too, you would have thought he would have mentioned it too when he sold it to me !! I thought 18% was all the same mix who ever made it, I realise now that its not, so yes lesson learned

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS