Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Viewing smallholdings - any tips ?  (Read 12258 times)

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
Re: Viewing smallholdings - any tips ?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 08:04:47 pm »
Well one of the properties we were really interested in is apparently unmortgageable so we've had to cross that off the list and another one has just been sold.

We're left with a short list of 3: two are 5 acres one is 7 acres, all have outbuildings, one has river frontage and fishing rights and one used to be a nursery so the outbuildings are set up for that with an area for the polytunnels (handy as I'm planning on having a native plant nursery) . Two of the houses won't need anything doing to them but one I think might, there aren't any pics of the inside (always a bit of a give away)and it's only part double glazed, that is the one with 7 acres though.

I've compiled a checklist of all your tips and I'm obsessively looking at the properties on google earth. I've also got the OS map for the area to check out footpaths etc. All the properties have been on the market since June / July 2010 so there might be a bit of a deal to be done, fingers crossed.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 08:18:14 pm »
Gosh, you really are going for it! Best of luck to you!

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:55 pm »
so so jealous!! A few years to save up yet I think :-)

princesspiggy

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 08:07:52 pm »
so exciting x  :wave:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 10:02:49 pm »
I remember looking for our place here and its 'oh such an exciting time'!! Roll on the 1st for you :)

Whatever you choose will normally always work if your dedicated nothing cant be overcome as long as the walls and roof is pretty sturdy - all properties will have problems one way or another but that life isnt it? Some problems you can even learn to live with after a while ;)

The best things I can suggest from experience is be as far from neighbours as possible and dont move to an SSI or national park if you want to expand easily.

I also agree with Castle Farm - def learn to reverse!!  I have some great fun watching people trying to reverse down our lanes when all they can do is reverse park or not even that on there own roads.  For some reason every novice reverser seems to think they need full lock left or right as soon as its in reverse gear! Watching them weave from hedge to hedge is alot of fun when your not in a rush.  lol

Best of luck

Baz

fruitfarm

• Joined Feb 2011
  • The Lincolnshire Fens
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 08:15:57 am »

Try to get more land than you think you need. Horrible decor in the house can be replaced but it's expensive to buy more space when that beautiful Dexter cow and the pair of Saanen nannies turn up.

Also, don't drink too much of their home-made wine even if you are thirsty at the end of a long, hot, house hunting day. That second bottle certainly clouds your judgement!

robert waddell

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 10:04:14 am »
the old blind farmer going to look at farms with his son
arrives at the first one and father tells son tie the horse to the nearest docken
but father there is no docks
well if it cant grow dockens
its no use to us

HappyHippy

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 11:12:11 am »
Go and see all of them ! You can't judge what they're like without actually seeing them in the flesh. To give my tuppence worth  ;) I think land is key when viewing.
Houses can be renovated, outbuildings can be built but to change the condition of the land will be almost impossible without huge amounts of time and effort. So make sure the soil type is good (no heavy, sticky clay soil) and the fencing, ditches and land drainage is in good order - everything else after that is a relatively easy fix  ;) ;D
Good luck and I'm getting excited for you too !
Karen :wave:

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 07:29:20 pm »
Yes we're going to see all of them and we're staying a B&B the night before so we can spend some time checking out the local area. We're being shown around by the owners as well so have chance for a bit of a chat and try and find out why they are moving. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS