Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vintage tractor wanted- plus advice needed  (Read 8924 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Vintage tractor wanted- plus advice needed
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:15:06 am »
Hi all- I am totally new to tractors and not very 'mechanical' and time-poor! I am looking for a fully restored vintage tractor but am unsure what I should go for or where to buy one that will need . I think I want it for-

1) topping 8 acres with a finger mower
2) something that 'is old and looks good' (battered paint/tin is OK as long as mechanically A1)
3) something that is easy to drive and safe (ability to put a roll bar on?)
4) I'd like to take it on the road
5) cost- ideally as little as possible- I'm not really wanting to pay premiums just because it is rare.
6) ability to pull a small trailer, have a PTO for other equipment as necessary
7) Easy to maintain and reliable

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

robert waddell

Re: Vintage tractor wanted- plus advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:32:34 am »
your biggest hurdle is the cost all sellers know what there tractors are worth £3000 upwards for a good renovated example
and this is the funny bit some unrestored examples make more than ,better than left the factory
how much is as little  as possible

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 01:44:19 am »
Why do you particularly want a vintage tractor, and how old do you consider to be vintage?  Older tractors won't necessarily have a PTO system.  Restored tractors have not necessarily been restored to mechanical perfection, possibly only cosmetic - do you know enough to tell the difference?  For the same price you would pay for a well restored older tractor, you could get a small Chinese tractor which would do all you want and be reliable and safe - there's more to safety than a roll bar (you should really go on one of the Health and Safety days to know what to look out for).  The biggest nuisance with any tractor is if it breaks down just when you need it for a time-critical job such as haymaking. If you have little mechanical knowledge and no time to waste, you may be better with a new imported tractor. The only one of your criteria they don't fit is number 2.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:40:13 pm »
If its any help as a pointer, we have been very happy with our restored 1976 John Deere 2030. It is 75hp and has PTO and came with a loader and several trailers, hay wuffler etc. New imported also a good option , as long as it has enough HP to deal with full size implements on rough/bumpy ground if you have any of that; some are quite low HP.

70s or early 80s is a good age to look at, they still look 'classic' and restored ones are around, but they dont have quite the premium of the real oldies/little grey Fergies etc

Heres ours...

andrew ford

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:49:01 pm »
one thing that we have found with tractors is that anything 1990 usually is pritty good as that have less electronics

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:06:02 pm »
Definitely steer clear of anything with electronics. Question is do you want to use the thing or just look at it? Or maybe you want the neighbours to look at it? Cosmetics aren't too important so long as it does what it says on the tin in my opinion.(which is worth bugger all btw ;D)

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:18:13 am »
I like the JD up there ^^^^^  ;D My daughter has told me I can have any tractor I want as long as it's green with yellow wheels - kind of only leaves one choice really, doesn't it?  :D
Another one echoing the comments of avoid anything with electronics - unless you're good with schematic diagram and multimeters and have time to burn. Work on the KISS principle, Keep It Simple, Stupid and you won't go far wrong!

Dan.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 09:29:43 am »
that is exactly why old tractors  are at a premium and will increase in  cost

andrew ford

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:01:07 pm »
well old tractors are much more reliable than the modern ones and last twice as long

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:43:12 pm »
Push stop button - place spanner over solenoid to start :) Love old engines - not economical in any way, but they do run with a good bodge.

Go for an old Dia Brownn if you can get one. Got a 990 selectomatic here with a little front loader, great for lifting muck and stuff thats not heavy - the only tractor that still starts off the key, the only tractor you can leave the ignition on and it doesnt run the battery out as it has no lights at all, one way hydraulic output thingy, pto, solid gears.  It may have no brakes, seat mad of fence posts, bald tires, loads of rust but she is worth the weight in gold (turn of phrase obviously lol)

Its got a roll bar on it too, but in all honesty I would ignore the advice of 'grip the wheel and stay on vehicle' - I always 'grip my pant bottoms and walk to toilet' whenever its felt like turning.

Alot of the decent running old stuff gets exported now

Baz

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »
on fle bay there is a restored 135 (massey ferguson) it is sitting at £4600 with 4 days to go
there is also a 390 four wheel drive with loader £6500 not a bid yet

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 06:35:02 pm »
You could try the big Cheffins auctions at Cambridge and Harrogate (there are others of course, usually smaller).

Beware 'restored' as this may be purely cosmetic.

Rotten tin work usually comes from exposure to cow muck so likely to be a scraper tractor in its latter days.

John Deere, Massey Fergusons and Ford hold the value arguable better than International, David Brown, Nuffield (latterly Leyland) so suggest looking for one of these. Have an open mind, we have an International B414, electrics and handbrake dont work but starts on the button.

Good Luck!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:54:35 pm »
A man local to us had sheds full of, mostly, David Browns.  I think he restores them and .....well, I asssume he must sell them. or at least some of them.
From talking to him, he seems to think they are the best.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS