Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambing kit essentials for newbie!!!!  (Read 14953 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Re: lambing kit essentials for newbie!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 10:03:03 am »
Aaaawwww Worzel, you're just an old fashioned lad at heart  ;D ;D ;D

Yes i am sure that HMM would have got around to thanking everyone with out the prompt, she has elsewhere! she has also shown huge appreciation for all advice given....

but yes you are right a timely reminder of manners, decorum and patience never goes amiss ! ;) ;) ;) there are others, on other topic threads whose problem is not what they forget to say, but that they maybe say too much; causing potential fall-out more toxic than Japan's neuclear problem!!!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ 
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 10:27:11 am »
....and don't be paranoid - you will forget something, we all do, but just do your best and you will be fine.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »
whats the phrase - keep calm and carry on!!!!

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 12:37:39 pm »
feel the fear and do it anyway  :o :o ;D
ET
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 02:03:59 pm »
what is a good wormer for the ewes?

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 03:01:51 pm »
for those who use crovect - when should this be used as is unsuitable to lambs under 1 week - is it done at turnout with fluke and wormer or ahead of lambing?

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »
we live in an area that has loads of cluster flys and with temperatures around 11-12 and sunshine it wont be long before they are around for sure.  It would seem to me to make sence to do them with it when I do the fluke and wormer before turning them out unless of course anyone thinks I should do it differently - our pasture has had nothing on it for at least 3 years.   I dont know before as it was a probate sale!  Better to be safe than sorry.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 04:40:33 pm »
HMM you can use a variety of products against fly strike most common are Crovect, Clik and Vetrazine. Google them and do some research over withdrawl times etc as they all have specific differences......then decide which you want to use. I use clik and do ewes on turn out after lambing so long as they lamb 3-4 months before shearing as the residues in the fleece at shearing are toxic to the shearer and processing wool with residues is not possible due to chemicals getting into the washing water. So if lambing now use Crovect which has a shorter withdrawl for both meat and wool, then shear and use either crovect and reapply every 6 weeks (I think it is off top of my head) or clik which has to be reapplied every 16 weeks.
Apply it to your orphan lambs once they have been turned out to grass in a few weeks time, they do not need doing at the moment. When your ewes lamb you can do them at the same time as worming and foot trimming etc and then do the lambs at about 4-6 weeks old.
HTH
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »
Thanks Val as ever sound advice - gone off with my shopping list today so that I am prepared for any new arrivals!!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 09:11:38 pm »
If you only have five ewes use the one which you can get in the smallest bottle and with the longest BBE date on it! These usually come in bottles that do hundreds of sheep in one go....

Or speak to your nearest large scale sheep farmer and get some off him/her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS