Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Day olds for meat  (Read 6692 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Day olds for meat
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:33:06 pm »
We've hatched some eggs this year - girls into the laying flock and boys for the table. However, it's a bit hit or miss regarding numbers and sexes. Can you buy day olds that are for meat production? If so, are they all male? Does anyone know any suppliers in Scotland? How far would a day-old be able to travel?

Somebody put a comment on about getting the abbatoir to kill and clean poultry. Not sure if ours does it, though.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Day olds for meat
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:34:15 pm »
We used to buy our days olds from the market before I started incubating, and they were for the broody hens that didn't hatch anything. They were a mix of both sexes in each batch, but we could request meat birds though.

Kate

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

chrisgod

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Renazé 53
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:26:09 pm »
Spoke to a friend from South of Angers and he assures me you can ask for anything you want!! They even now breed some chucks that LOOK yellow as if fed upon corn!!!
Please have a look at www.french-lakes.fr

Remember this!! SOME people are ALIVE simply because it is ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM!!??

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 12:01:59 am »
Yes , our local poultry plant did the deed for us. we had 15 done for us at a price of £1.70  a bird - I have done done them myself, but didnt have the time to do this quantity. they made a really good job of it and ensure all free range are done seperately to others. your local abbatoir should know of anyone local who can do this for you.
G
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS