Author Topic: .  (Read 5273 times)

CornishFarmer

« on: March 12, 2011, 11:47:24 am »
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:58:16 pm by Worzel Gummidge »

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Advice On Building Field Shelter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:02:47 pm »
Mine are salvaged in the main from pallet wood. Onduline for the roof, and put together with screws and very long thick nails with a good head.

:sheep:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:10:43 pm »
what about ex gpo van bodies  or demountable bodies        commercial vehicle dismantler should be able to assist :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:56:30 pm »
I made a 'summer arc' for my last weaners using old pallets and the roof off an old VW camper  :o
Join two pallets together using lengths of timber (roofing battons are ideal) I screwed these in the gaps between the spaces on the pallet (gives you a side about 3ft high and 8 ft wide) they were proped into position and secured by driving wooden fence posts down through to hold them in place and little metal L shaped brackets just to hold it together. The gap between the outside and inside can be stuffed with straw or fleece ? for insulation and finish the whole thing off with a piece of hardboard or similar to give a nice smooth inside, my roof was propped up at the front and sloped backwards without having to add much more that the camper roof - but curved sheets would work well too.
I'll try and get some photo's to show you what I'm on about  ;)
HTH?
Karen

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 03:24:02 pm »
AW NAW YOU MUDERED A VW CAMPER VAN TO MAKE A SHELTER  SHAME  :'( SHAME :'( ON YOU HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICE THAT ROTTEN CAMPER VANS GO FOR WITH ONLY THE ROOF THAT IS GOOD :o :o :o :o :o   ONE PERSONS SCRAP IS ANOTHER PERSONS TRESURE£££££££££££££
AW NAW I AM AWAY TO HAVE A WE CRY TO MYSELF :wave: :wave: :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:37:23 pm »
No campers were harmed in the making of this arc  ;D ;D ;D
We only ever had the roof  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:50:25 pm »
Lilian, just WHAT are you like!  Sandy is a VW camper freak as well ::) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »
I'm a HUGE VW fan too  ;)
Here's my first (and in my head, my only) car  ;D
Would still have it now if I thought I could fit 4 kids in it AND tow a trailer full of pigs  ;)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 11:04:00 pm »
My VW camper failed an MOT today and I am in desperate need of a pig ark by sunday so maybe.....

nope can't do it - the old van will be fixed and up for sale next week so that I can buy a battered old 4x4 that will fit in better at the new farm.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:43:59 am »
Worzel
Don't know if you've started your build yet but we make pig shelters with 6"x2" timber frames and sheets of 8'x4' sheets of ply screwed together (that way you can take them apart if needed) we use the ply for the roofs too and cover with roofing felt (might add hubby is a builder so we get a lot of this stuff as leftovers from jobs or i'm ultra sneaky and go to the builders merchants and shove it on his account when hes too busy with a big job and won't notice a little extra going thro!! ;D  ;)) The shelters are taller at the front and slope to the back and we lift them into position using the handler and straps (not on a windy day!!!). if you browse the net for field shelters you'll get some good pictures of whats available.
HTH
Mandy :pig:
Ps make sure the ground its on is a level as poss to stop wobbles!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS