Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hate this storm!  (Read 7027 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
hate this storm!
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »
it does not seem to end, arrgghh! I had to fix the door of the polytunnel 3 times already, I'm just fed up now. Someone just make it stop!  :&>

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: hate this storm!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:15:50 pm »
We have had high winds for two days now - been chasing buckets and stuff all over the field.  When there is a lull in the wind we get a torrential downpour!!  Its a bitter cold wind too. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:36:22 pm by Roxy »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:23:39 pm »
Her rain and wind at the same time! But in-between beautiful sunshine, WITH wind too.... can't do anything outside...

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »
 :wave: Yep same over here in Kilbarchan - thought I was being sooo clever earlier hanging out washing  :dunce: nice "breeze" - OH has warned me if I break another line that's the last one - broke 2 so far since last April ;D isn't it great not having to feel guilty being on-line during daylight hours?  ;)

Must get on with making my bee candy though - last bought block went in 2 days ago.  Poor  :bee: :bee: :bee: haven't been able to get out to feed for about a week now - if they managed to dodge the sleet they'd probably end up sightseeing over Edinburgh Castle if they venture out today :D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:24:57 pm »
Sorry it alternates between sun and cloud with light wind.  Always coldest when I feed the pigs though.  Hope weather improves for you all v. soon

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:48:47 pm »
We had gales 2 days ago, a stiff breeze yesterday but much nicer, and today it alternates between the two and the odd bucket of hail or water thrown in for a few minutes at random ::)

During one of the better spells I ventured out on foot as far as the village and back to post a couple of letters and enjoy a slightly different view, but the "fresh air" was a wee bit too fresh on the way back, I nearly got whooshed into the road more than once :o

Animals all seem fine tho there is hay, rubbish, buckets, bags etc flying about occasionally ::) but at least it's less muddy with all this wind ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »
we have had gale force winds and snow today, and torrential rain last night, not very nice at all, animals are all ok, hens were not to keen, wind has died down, its quiet a pleasant evening now  :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 06:49:43 pm »
Just got in from feeding the piggies - they're nice & snug in their byre - straw topped-up  :) :pig: :pig: :pig: chooks put themselves to bed early this evening - once they could get back into the yard - backs to the wind girls !!!

Hailstones the size of marbles at the mo & wind still really strong  :(  WEY
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:00:44 pm »
Fed up !! Weather has been terrible today, felt as if I was going to be blown away. Snow showers off and on, so cold bring back the sunshine please.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:13 pm »
But think of the positives  ???

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:42:35 pm »
We've had gales for three days now, and wintry showers the last two. In betwixt the sun comes out but then more hail comes blasting in...

Hardfeather

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:35:22 pm »
This is just March a wee bit late in coming in like a lion.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:37:47 pm »
Hey, compared to last year this February was positively Mediterranian  ;D just think I'm noticing it more as have more stock to look after - sure Mother Nature will balance it out with a lovely summer  :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 09:04:17 am »
We seem to have strong winds for ages  :( It's so unpleasant to work in. We've had some wintry showers too - heavy hail for about 10 minutes yesterday then back to sunshine.

Still windy this morning, frosty and sunny, but not as windy as yesterday. Dan was fencing yesterday and was frozen when he came in - and more of the same today.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 09:49:04 am »
horizontal sleet now  >:( and I really do have to muck out th bird houses today :o :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS