Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mineral Oils leaching from newsprint in recycled Cardboard  (Read 4294 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
Mineral Oils leaching from newsprint in recycled Cardboard
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:12:51 am »
Mineral Oils leaching from newsprint in recycled Cardboard.
I heard about this on the news and am a quite worried as I have uses a lot of card and newspaper on the field to stop weeds prior to growing veggies! I thought UK printing inks were OK. Can anyone enlighten me?
What do you think about it?

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Mineral Oils leaching from newsprint in recycled Cardboard
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:02:41 pm »
lots of recycled cardboard , is made from paper, c/b that has mineral oil print , in fact most has.
No idea about the UK ink being ok , not heard that one myself , I thought it was all mineral oil and dangerous .
Not just the veggie plot you need worry about though , the poison leaches out of the cardboard into any food that is stored in it , ie  cereals , even eggs etc.....
  I burn it all now . I don't see why I should be part of their 'poison people' scam . I would take it off the veggie plot though myself . I used to use new cardboard that had no print on it , but that became almost impossible to get in the end , so don't bother now .

From the BBC.

Leading food manufacturers are changing their packaging because of health concerns about boxes made from recycled cardboard, the BBC has learned.

Researchers found toxic chemicals from recycled newspapers had contaminated food sold in many cardboard cartons.

The chemicals, known as mineral oils, come from printing inks.

Cereal firm Jordans has stopped using recycled cardboard and other firms are to ensure their recycled packaging does not contain any toxic oils.

Kellogg's and Weetabix said they were taking steps to reduce the amount of mineral oil in their packaging.

Exposure to mineral oils has been linked to inflammation of internal organs and cancer.

Government scientists in Switzerland found quantities of mineral oils between 10 and 100 times above the agreed limit in foods like pasta, rice and cereals sold in cartons made from recycled cardboard.

"Should there be any evidence from our study - and we will carry out a risk assessment - we will take immediate action to protect the public.”

In one scientific paper they describe the potential for mineral oils to migrate into foodstuffs as "frightening".

However, the Swiss food safety authorities have concluded that consumers who eat a balanced and varied diet have no need to worry.

In a statement Jordans said that, as an environmentally responsible company which had previously used largely recycled packaging, it had taken the decision to abandon it reluctantly, but felt it was sensible.

The BBC investigation found other food companies were aware of the issue - but none had so far followed Jordans' lead.

More than half the cardboard used in Europe is made from recycled materials.

So-called "virgin board" from newly harvested trees is more expensive and there is not enough of it to replace recycled card completely.

The research has been led by Dr Koni Grob at the government-run food safety laboratory of the Canton of Zurich.

In one study for the German food ministry last year he and his colleagues tested a sample of 119 products bought from German supermarkets.

They found mineral oils passed easily through many of the inner bags used to keep food dry and fresh.
Printing machine More than half of Europe's cardboard is made from recycled materials

The longer a product stood on the shelves, the more mineral oil it was likely to absorb.

Dr Grob told the BBC: "Roughly 30 products from these 119 were free of mineral oil. (only 30! bloody hell)

"For the others they all exceeded the limit, and most exceeded it more than 10 times, and we calculated that in the long run they would probably exceed the limit 50 times on average and many will exceed it several hundred times."

The agreed safe limit for mineral oil saturated hydrocarbons, outlined in European legislation covering plastic packaging, is a concentration of 0.6mg per kilogram.

Two effects

Studies on rats have highlighted the dangers to health of mineral oils.

Dr Grob said: "Toxicologists talk about two effects. One is the chronic inflammation of various internal organs and the other one is cancer."

But he stressed consumers would have to be exposed to contaminated foods over many years for their health to be at risk.

The Food and Drink Federation, which represents Britain's food companies, said the Swiss study was "a good starting point for further investigations" - but not enough in itself to justify discontinuing the use of recycled card.

Manufacturers' reactions

Nonetheless, some of the individual members of the FDF are taking steps to change their packaging.

Kellogg's said it was working with its suppliers on new packaging "which allows us to meet our environmental commitments but will also contain significantly lower levels of mineral oil".

The company is also looking at alternative inner liners for its packets.

Dr Grob's studies suggest only aluminium-coated bags or those made of certain types of thick plastic are an effective barrier to the migration of mineral oils.

Weetabix said it uses 100% recycled board because it is better for the environment, but is also looking at recycled packaging that does not contain recycled newspaper.

Like several other companies, it said: "Our data... does indicate that none of our products pose a risk to consumer health".

In Germany the government has told the food and packaging industries to take immediate steps to reduce the risk from mineral oils, and is considering introducing mandatory rules.

In the UK the Food Standards Agency is doing research of its own: but so far it is only looking at how much mineral oil there is in recycled packaging, not how much gets into the food inside.

Terry Donohoe, the acting head of the FSA's chemical safety division, said: "Should there be any evidence from our study - and we will carry out a risk assessment - we will take immediate action to protect the public."

Dr Grob and his colleagues say that even switching to virgin cardboard would not eliminate the risk from mineral oils entirely.

This is because food cartons are themselves stored and transported in larger corrugated cardboard boxes which are also made from recycled newspapers, and are also a source of contamination.

Just one line taken from the above;

"But he stressed consumers would have to be exposed to contaminated foods over many years for their health to be at risk."

so that would be like everyone who buys food !!! twat !!!!
 I don't think these people have any brains at all . They suffer from terminal verbal diarrhea , brought on, no doubt,  by the shite they put in, not only the food, but in the packaging too .
 Oh well time to get John Gummer out again and feed his daughter ( if she is still alive and didn't catch BSE or CJD, after her loving daddy making her eat a very hot hamburger on tv to prove that the meat was safe ....yeah we all know how 'safe' it really was !!!!) , or maybe if she did survive the twat trying to poison her , he could use his grandchildren now . Yes , we are safe in their hands , we know we can trust them ...don't we !!!

"Kellogg's and Weetabix said they were taking steps to reduce the amount of mineral oil in their packaging. "

'REDUCE ' the amount of mineral oil in their packaging  ? . So only poison us a bit , or poison us less than they were before !!!!

Wouldn't it be good if everyone opened the packets up in the shops ... can't be sold , have to be binned ... terrible waste yes , but at least people won't be eating poison . They would soon get the message , WE DON'T WANT YOUR POISON SHITE ANYMORE !!!

cheers

Russ
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:26:12 pm by RUSTYME »

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:14:14 pm »
is it not syphilis that rots the brain :o

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »
Years ago when I worked for the RSPCA we used to get offered lots of shredded office paper for bedding. It was all refused as poisonous and that has stuck, never used the stuff even though its free from freecycle. All just goes in the rayburn I was offered some stuff from the local school the other day when I explained my reason for refusing they thought I was daft and now its all over the news.

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »
 :o :o :o Whatever next???? ( Know the stuff about Sypillis, no worries there ::)) We are told to recycle but then the stuff they produce creates more porblems, enought to make us grow our own ::)

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »
Hang on, I use news paper for the pups to wee wee on!!!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »
Hey, this is scary folks  >:( what are we being poisoned with now  ???

I've been using shredded paper to bulk-out our chicken's sawdust flooring & then using it in the compost heap  ::) which we grow our veggies  :carrot: :brocolli: :peas: :spud: :squash: :rasp: from  :'(

Sandy - I know of loads of folks using it to rear puppies - it even mentions using it in online articles.

Oh happy days  ???

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 03:20:24 pm »
Some years ago I had nose problems, since snorted  :pig:, but, the local paper and a county paper always irritated my nose as soon as i went near to them, then they changed thier print methods and all was OK ever since ( so has my nose been after an op!!) The trouble is with Scientist, without thier research, none of us would be any wiser, we would all drop dead young and so reduce the bills for looking after the sick and elderly, SO, do away with research and stop scaring us all!!! ;) ;) ;)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:56 am »
I burn all the paper and then put it on the garden as potash  The plants do marvellously well and then I dont have to buy potash.

Nothing worse that wet soggy newspaper hanging around the garden bed for weeks and weeks.  This is a much better idea.  All the print is gone then and the colour just a grey dusty ash left in the bottom of the fire place.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS