Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Badgers & Chooks  (Read 6154 times)

Badger

• Joined May 2010
Badgers & Chooks
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:11:11 pm »
Does anybody know if badgers are likely to pray on hens. We have seen several badgers around the garden area lately, and someone told us we had better keep an eye on the chooks. Could this be true ?.

Badger

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Badgers & Chooks
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:59 pm »
Yes, I think they would.  You may have to improve the security do your hen enclosure
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:32:06 pm »
big style. chicken wire will not be good enough.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:49:57 pm »
iv seen the damage when they ripped the back off a coop  and ate the whole lot so if you got badgers get security

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:19:27 am »
Second Daddymatty, we lost 5 Welsummers and some Light Sussex last year with the back of the pens ripped out.
It couldn't be a Fox due to all the damage and none of that distinctive smell.

We're told that some locals have seen Badgers in our area, so pretty certain that they must have been the culprits,.

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:17 am »
Yep, foxes take the chickens away for supper, badgers actually savage them in situ. Very nasty and as people have said they rip the chicken house apart to get in. Not ours fortunately (electric netting) but our neighbours. Savaged all four, and left the carnage!

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:32:50 pm »
we have a badger in our garden at the mo, not showed any interest in the chooks as of yet but was woken up last night when we heard the metal gate rattling, the gate is half covered with that green plastic coated wire to keep puppy in, shined a torch on him and he ran off, came down in the morning to find a great big hole and bite marks where he had chewed through the wire! never knew they could do so much damage, quite worrying really!! :-\

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:48:34 pm »

Yes indeed! Badgers will predate hens and with those powerful claws can make short-work of a hen coop.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:51:01 pm »
what is the best way to stop a badger then?? i worried about my ladies after reading this thread, i didnt realise badgers were so destructive, and determined,  :wave:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:09:16 pm »
a 3.5t van? a bullet? i have hit a badger once. i stopped got out walked to where i thought it was dead. nope it was alive only using front legs crawling towards me snarling and trying to get me so i jumped back in van and reversed over it job done

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:42 pm »
badgers are highly protected. Check the law or keep your acts to yourself or you will be in deep trouble. You can hardly look at them these days without prosecution!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 09:48:35 pm »
stilts would work

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:35 pm »
stilts would work
Our henhouse is on 12" stilts. In addition to the safety factor it also gives them somewhere to shelter under from the rain.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:44:51 pm »
badgers are highly protected. Check the law or keep your acts to yourself or you will be in deep trouble. You can hardly look at them these days without prosecution!
will do next time i hit one il leave it to suffer a horrible death on more than one occasion iv seen them be put down with a bullit or a truck so will let the animal suffer if its in pain i dont want to get prosacuted

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 02:33:23 pm »
daddy don't do that. i think the poster got the impression that you would aim to run them down.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS