Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing my own Poultry feed  (Read 3358 times)

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Growing my own Poultry feed
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:13:30 pm »
Can anyone give me a suggestion of what I can grow to supplement my poultry feed.  I dont think that wheat is an option due to living in the Scottish Highlands.  Barley or Oats maybe.

Does anyone have any experience of this.

As usual really appreciate all your input and love the forum especially as there are so many Scottish forum members (however I'm not Scottish but probably would change my pastport having lived here for over 25 years!)

Many thanks

Floyd

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: Growing my own Poultry feed
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:15:52 pm »
what ever goes in the ground my chooks have eaten. what quanity would you be producing?

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:31:12 pm »
I think producing grains of any sort would require rather too much machinery, unless you already have it.  Or perhaps you could just get smallscale hand stuff like rotivator and scythe.  I'd love to do the same, but I just don't think it's practical.

I'm thinking this year of sowing more greenstuffs and roots for the other stock.  My chooks are free roaming, so live very largely on insects and grasses.  We don't mow any of the grasses in their range, so in the autum they help themselves to organic grass seeds !

Where about in the Highlands are you ?  I'm in the Islands.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »
We grow extra kale and spinach for the chooks. They also get any brassica leaves, fallen apples and plums etc etc to supplement the layers pellets.

valantinas

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:09:27 pm »
Hi
We grow lots of mangel wurzel for the hens.  Whilst its growing they like the leaves and stored over winter, we grate it into their food or just give it to them grated.  They love it!

Pete

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
I have survived nearly 43 years and have never heard of a Mangle Wurzel thank goodness for Google.

I was thinking of some type of seed or grain maybe oats due to my location, however Mangle wurzel looks good for planting when the birds get moved out of the area they are in now

many thanks for your replies

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS