Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Owner of dog wanting to sue me - long!!  (Read 12690 times)

Sandy

Re: Owner of dog wanting to sue me - long!!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 03:47:46 pm »
many years ago somebody went into a glasgow scrappie and was bitten by there alsation.  he bent down and bit the dog and was done for cruelty   

::)Brave man!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 04:40:12 pm »
Since my young lad found his hormones my two boys can't be left alone together,(I hope to change that with time and knowledge of my lads) but I would challenge anyone to separate them by grabbing their balls - they move so fast you 'd never catch them for a start, and as a male's most important (and in some cases only  ;)|) asset you're likely to get bitten yourself as they can turn so fast! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 05:28:24 pm »
 ;D ;D I cannot bend down quick enough anyway, I would end up in a heap! ;D ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 09:27:40 pm »
Since my young lad found his hormones my two boys can't be left alone together,(I hope to change that with time and knowledge of my lads) but I would challenge anyone to s ;Deparate them by grabbing their balls - they move so fast you 'd never catch them for a start, and as a male's most important (and in some cases only  ;)|) asset you're likely to get bitten yourself as they can turn so fast! ::)

That's why you would need someone holding firmly to the collar! Mind you I was also told years ago that the best way to stop a dog hanging on to another was to stick your finger up his bum.......honestly! :o :o :o

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 11:17:35 pm »
You wouldn't be able to grab the collars either though.  I just don't let them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 08:46:42 am »
Read this with interest as I have both a livery yard and dogs that fight! When we moved here our dogs had already started having nasty fights with each other, the bucket of water thing does not work on them, we had to use a wrought iron chair to effectivly 'cage' one agaisnt the other, also be careful about pulling them apart, we did this and one dog obviously still in mid bite caught my upper thigh (most excrutiating and it didnt even break skin). They now live side by side but in separate kennels and run, they NEVER come out at the same time, also because I knew of the problems with the dogs I told all liveries and farriers that they can no longer bring thier dogs on site as I could not trust my dogs with them. We have tried to work out how to resolve it but they hate each other! Probably something we have done wrong in the past but now cant undo, need the dog whisperer!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 10:20:48 am »
My take on this (with no legal qualification) is that the defensive aggression is set in and you would be as well to ask the livery to leave and put up signs saying nobody is allowed to bring their dogs loose on your property in future regardless of how well mannered they are supposed to be.  Any further incident and you would be held responsible so nip it in the bud.

I know you think the daughter is a good livery but she is caught in the middle and it could get worse very quickly so I'd act now.  You can make things worse by being too nice if that makes sense ??? 

I wouldn't know where to start to separate fighting dogs but believe shooting a dog on your land that is worrying livestock is legal but not sure about another dog.. kicking it could be taken as unreasonable, strange as that sounds.. I'd just say the relationship has broken down, trust has been lost and you can't afford to have the risk of the atmosphere on your yard being spoilt and folk being drawn in to discuss respective merits.  That will also show you are clear about boundaries and behaviour on your business property and other liveries will know what to expect of you if other disputes arise, which they always will at some level ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 02:31:54 pm »
Hope your dogs all ok now  :)

I've known many livery yards (not through having horses myself...) and dogs always cause problems.  My sister has one on her farm and one of their livery's dogs (overweight lab...  ::)) attacked my young kelpie when he was just a pup... They sh1t all over the place and the owners don't pick it up as they're too busy with the horses to notice... They use it as a poor excuse for a walk when they let them out for a runaround at the yard... Best times were when all owners were told no dogs allowed, but then someone with a nice dog asks, gets told ok, and everyone sees and before you know it... Loads of them running about the place again.

Ban them all, for sake of your dogs and children...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 05:17:10 pm »
what a sad story, your poor collie  :(

It all sounds very scary, stressful and I think I'd be totally livid by now too!  I have to agree though, complete ban on all dogs coming in. next time could be so much worse, this time has served as a (scary) warning.
I don't think I'd want the livery coming back any more at all. Its a complicated situation you are in and by her still being a paying customer, this could be a huge problem.
What would have happened if a young child had been attacked by the rotty?
My gut feeling is that they know they are in the wrong here and are reacting in a defensive manner by threatening to sue you. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hardfeather

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »
many years ago somebody went into a glasgow scrappie and was bitten by there alsation.  he bent down and bit the dog and was done for cruelty  

::)Brave man!!

They're all like that in Glasgow.

Sandy

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 08:25:22 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D, I keep trying to look for the French and Saunders clip but cannot find it. THey were dressed in country clothing with green wellies and head scarfs and kept saying" stuff and nonsance" Dawn frenches charactor cut a finger off and then gave it to her Lab and said, now they all want one and cut off some more!! 

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 10:27:59 am »
i have run a livery yard in the past and a dog got stood on by another livery,s horse ,in the field.lots of bad feelings but the horse was entitled to be in his field the dog wasnt.
how do they know which dog scratched the child and can they prove it.
Give them notice to leave as your dog has a right to lay there and not be attacked.There are other good liveries about to take their place.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 12:55:27 pm »
Sorry all, didn't mean to post and run but not been atw rok and that seems to be the only time I have to come online these days!!

OK so the livery has gone ... I informed her mother that my solicitor was awaiting the details of hers and was on standby was he needed but when I requested the details of their acting solicitor they had forgotten his name  ::)

She sent me a snotty email saying that she felt there was a bad atmosphere at the yard and that she had decided to move (figures! :o) and by 9am the next morning there was no trace of them. They were almost paid up until the end of the month so everyone is happy it seems!

Lillian - my OH had just come back from ferreting, hence the gun in the truck. Don't worry, he is fully licensed and qualified and knows the laws  :)

With regard to toby - he is fine. Still on some meds and has big bald patches in his armpits but is loving his daily banana, he clearly thinks he's done something wonderful and is being sufficiently treated for it!

I rushed downstairs last night as there was terrible screaming from the porch  :-[ :o ... it was Toby complaining that my OH had taken our labrador out fetching rabbits  ::). He'll be out again in no time!

I have already filled the livery space with a girl who seems lovely (time will tell!) and doesnt have a dog so with any luck, we will have a peaceful summer!!

Sandy

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 01:19:33 pm »
Good, sounds a bit more settled, do dogs like Banannas then??? I have never tried! I know they pinch an apple or pear occasionaly..I know they are good for us but are they similarly good for dogs then?

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 02:06:19 pm »
I'd never though of it either before my Aunts dog was put on a strict diet because he was too spoilt ... the vet recommended carrots, blueberries and other veg instead of the rubbihs she was feeding him and said that banana's if fed in moderation are also good for dogs! Our mastiff won't touch them but the collie and the Lab are crazy for them (I can't get tablets into Toby any other way!). The horses are rather partial too!  :dog: :horse: ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS