Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Space  (Read 2984 times)

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
Space
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:23:16 am »
Hello, i'm new hear and very novice so please be gentle with me! I have trawled the site and can't seem to find a clear answer to my question. Books as recommended on here are requested at the library but would appreciate some expert advice while i wait! I would like to keep some pigs. Initially just a couple at a time to raise for meat. Longer term i would like to look at breeding. My research to date has led to the following plan. Keep 2 sows for breeding, no boar would use AI. They would have a litter each a year. 3 would be kept for meat, 1 for our own use, 2 to be sold to friends and family. The others would be sold as weaners. I would like to contribute to the continuation of a rare breed so would look to register those of breed standard.

Initially we have 2 approximately 10x20m pens within an orchard area potentially available (subject to agreement by the landowner!) Considering i wouldn't intend to keep any more that 5 pigs at a time past the weaning age (i fully realise this is no guarentee) how much space are we looking at here. I appreciate in an ideal world they would have many acres to roam in but unfortunately the pigs will have to share the land with several other residents. Would the sow and her young litter need a bigger pen than one of those available? Would another 10x20 be enough room for the 3 weaners? The third pen could then be rested for several months between litters.

Reading through the posts here i swing from thinking i need many many acres to thinking i could potentially manage this on a smaller scale.

I am not sure what breed we are looking at at the moment but certainly a rare breed and i have taken quite a shine to the britis lop in my reading and identified a couple of local breeders to make contact with..

Many thanks for reading.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Space
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:13:49 am »
 I think you really dont have enough space for more than a couple of weaners for fattening.  Sorry.  Personal opinion only.

porkandapples

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:36:09 am »
Don't be sorry, i'm here to learn :)

To be totally honest i'm exploring a few different options but leaning towards making poultry my 'thing' with as you say a couple of weaners for fattening over the summer months. Will be posting on that forum later too!! Just want to look at a few different things rather than put all my eggs in one basket but looks like pigs if at all will be for our meat supply for the time being at least.

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:26:48 pm »
Hi there..
We were in the same position as you not that long ago, and all of our pens were based on 10x20 ish dimensions. I had 4 paddocls of that size i.e 2 and 2, with two pig arks divided in the middle giving each paddoc access to an 8x4 ark.  I used on the forward facing paddocks for three Tamworths, and 3 large blacks, moving them to the rearward paddocks when the front got a bit grubby!

it worked fine!  They were very happy and fattened very well.  I have stuck with the blocks of 4 10 x 20m and have since built 2 more blocks giving me 8 paddocks.  I have a 'departure' paddock about the same size which allows me yearround trailer access, and two more 10 x 20 m electric paddocks as overspill.  We have 10 sows and a couple of boars, and all seems fine, a bit muddy but fine.  As pigs go I rest the paddocks, planting any old stuff, grass seed etc in the soiled ones.

I worm regularly and have had no illness thus far, so I assume all is well.  I have travelled around and seen lots of different set ups all variations of ours, all hugely muddy!

Give it a try, I think your on the right track, but be prepared to use the orchard is the mud gets too bad!
Regards
Jason.

P.S. I am not trying to undermine anyones idea's but I do love our pigs, and they are genuinly well and happy! :farmer:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 01:25:18 pm »
Yes, with 10x20m you'll be fine for some weaners for fattening, though for up to 5 adults that'd be too small. Once you start fattening weaners, you'll soon find out how much space you need and how to organise your pens, foodstores, water troughs, etc, so by the time you want to start breeding you may well have changed the setup already. ;) 
The breeders you found nearby might be happy to show you around, it's always interesting to see how others do things. Hairy Hog's idea of a departure gate is a really good one.
Does the owner of the orchard know how deep pigs can dig?  :D

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have, we like 'talking pig'! Beware, though, you'll find out really quickly that pigs are very addictive! :D

:wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:02:03 pm »
id have thought that 10 x 20 would be fine for a start, but ur supposed to rotate every year and rest the land for 2 years. why dont you start with 2 weaners and see how it goes. you could try different breeds each year to see what you like before you invest in breeding stock. different breeds have different characters, and i presume some breeds could cope better with less land than others. my tammies like wander a long way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS