Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what are the legalities of posting meat?  (Read 3356 times)

dizzydexter

• Joined Jan 2011
what are the legalities of posting meat?
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »
hi all , ive seen some small farms advertising on the internet for boxs of pork / beef / chicken sent through the post.
just wondered if any of you knew the legalities of doing it
many thanks

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: what are the legalities of posting meat?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:01:52 pm »
So long as they store it properly and package it properly for posting there should be no problems.They must be registered with Environmental Health.It is legal to send food via the post it needs to be next day delivery.

dizzydexter

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:58:58 pm »
i need to send some to a customer
how do i have to package it
it will be from the butchers so i wont touch it

blonde

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:29:50 am »
If it is coming frm the butcher then he may use a chiller truck and truck it to the closest butcher for your friend do pick up

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:51:13 am »
Get your butcher to vac pack each joint, sausage pack or w h y. Pack it in a clean polystyrene container along with plenty of bags of ice (from supermarket or off licence) and despatch via overnight courier. It's called 'due diligence' and providing you demonstrate that you have done everything possible to ensure that the meat arrives in good condition, you are unlikely to fall foul of the authorities.

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:16:32 pm »
i wondered this myself. id ask the health man first to be sure. and do a risk assessment to protect yourself. i heard some companies that deliver by post charge an awful alot more than average meat prices. if your trading is solely by internet and mail, u cud be anyone and charge anything if your marketing is right.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS