Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making money?  (Read 7710 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: Making money?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:08 pm »
Actually the company I work for have good redundancy facilities, based on watching everyone around me being made redundant over the last few years. I get a good pay off, and they usually bring in an outside company to help you with CVs, interviews and finding job advice.

I am quite happy to be leaving the company and quite happy with the pay - its the being unemployed and not knowing what to do next which is freaking me out I think.  :o

OH has just arrived home and being a natural pessimist who also has his mother, the original Mrs Doom and Gloom, going on at him (because she knows I ignore her) about now being a bad time for me to be unemployed, what with the state of the world today, dont you know, and I shouldnt just take redundancy if its optional (its not unless I want to move to London) and the financial papers all say that its not just wages you lose but pension contributions and all those benefits, and having a job, even if I hate it and am miserable, failing my kids and too tired to speak, is much more important than anything else - (phew) - anyway, OH is now in a panic about how we will manage. As I do the finances and know we will be fine for a good 18 months on my package and his wages, I am actually feeling optimistic now (thanks to all your lovely posts) about finding something I want to do.  ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 07:36:41 pm »
18 months is a fantastic safety net if you want to have a go at starting something on your own.

I had 3 months money in the bank when I started out (that was scary) even if you have start up costs for whatever you do and it eats into your reserve you should still have a fair while to start earning a profit.

Don't forget if you go self employed as well you get into a whole knew world of tax deductions :-)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »
no helpful suggestions ..... but wanted to say
whatever you decide egbert, take a chance and do something YOU really want to do!   and good luck  :)
Little Blue

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:11 pm »
Where to start.......... :)

I was made redundant at Christmas 2002 (HO, HO, freaking HO!) with two months salary and I was the main breadwinner! I borrowed £6,000 and bought a pet food franchise. Had a go at that but it wasn't great and eventually opened a pet shop and we haven't looked back!

I had a bad time when we first opened the shop as I was actually doing three jobs to make ends meet. I came close to a breakdown but thanks to my wife Di who stood by me, we are in the best place physically, mentally and professionally that we have ever been. Content is the word. We don't make a fortune but we get by with a little left over.

Money isn't everything.

Whatever you decide to do, keep the set up cost as low as possible, remember that for the first year you may feed the business. The second may see it feed itself and the third will see it start to feed you. Hopefully it will feed you from day one but it ain't always the case  :)

At the moment, the world is your oyster........If you are passionate about what you do, whatever it may be, you are much more likely to succeed. Pick something that inspires you.

Anything is possible and the best is yet to come!! Hope this helps, good luck.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 09:46:36 pm »
PS, arrange a large overdraft with the bank now, just in case!  ;)
Little Blue

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »
Thanks all  ;D :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS