Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making money?  (Read 7709 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Making money?
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:37:48 am »
So I heard today I am now in consultation for redundancy  :) :( :) :(
A bit mixed feelings about this - kinds of relieved to have a reason to leave my job as it is not what it used to be  >:( but sad it may be coming to an end and scared - been there 12 years straight out of uni and no idea what else I can do.  :P

Anyway, I am thinking now about what other things I could do to bring in a wage. Very interested in that other thread that was posted about making a profit from 10 acres, but it seemed to be mostly growing veg and I dont think I have the experience in veg growing, since I started my 1st bed last year!  ::)

SO - any ideas of how to make a profit from small holding, or working from home in other ways? I am working on suggestions before I decide how hard to fight redundancy . . .  and to keep OH happy of course  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Making money?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »
I am a great believer that while one door shuts another opens. I lost my job as a house keeper after 12 years, I had breast cancer and needed 6 months off work so someone was given my job and that was the end of me. At first I was in a very bad place, about as low as a person can get. Lucky for me I have very dear friends who suggested I tried for Bank Domestic work at our local hospital. Now its not everyones choice in a job but I found that I loved the company, chatting to the old people in the wards who just wanted someone to chat to. It got me out of the house. I also landed with the job of cleaning our own surgery full time so when not working at the hospital I still have an income. I was a Stud Manager before deciding that I needed to make my life less hard work and shorter hours, took me 4 years training and I loved my job, now I look back and see that I was so lucky to be able to do what I did. Could I do it now, no. Age and back problems saw to that. Looked at this as a postive step, take time to work out what will suit you now, you may surprise yourself.  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:42 pm »
My husband was made redundant at 55 - oil industry design engineer.  Absolutely nothing in his line available, only offshore work and I DARED him to even apply!  I told him this was his chance to sit back and relax and do what he always wanted to do - teach people how to take care of themselves on the mountains and take them up(and down) safely.  He eventually died doing what he loved - an inexperienced client knocked a snow cornice off and took him down 1000 feet.  But redundancy was the making of him.  You are young, you have the world before you, take advantage of that.  I doubt if 10 acres would keep you, our 22 acres wouldn't have, and neither did 'TransHighlandTreks', but I was still working and we managed fine, and the main thing is John was happy.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:59:58 pm »
Dogandjo  what a wonderful posting    :)

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:06 pm »
That's the answer there, Annie. 

Egbert, this is your chance to ask yourself what you want to do for the rest of your life.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:25:17 pm »
Thanks all.

Ah - but there is the question. What DO I want to do with the rest of my life?   ::) ::)

Is it sad that at 33 I still don't know!  :P

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:31:18 pm »
Egbert,  you don't say what you do for a living now and what your interests and passions are beyond that.  That's where I would start.  

Make a list of virtually anything you can think of that you've done or would like to have done, and what skills you have to offer in your new life.  What will make getting up every morning something to look forward to?  What would you always like to have done but never dared?  Redundancy is an opportunity to use your past experience and skills to start over completely, with a small financial cushion while you get going.

My other tip is now that you're in consultation, start saving every month while the process goes on so that you have a better nest egg when the time comes.  If it doesn't come then you've a wee pot of capital to spend on something but I had about 10 months between the start of the process and actually leaving and I made every month save 1/3 of my salary by starting to look at essentials vs luxuries, starting to adapt spending patterns, stocking up things of long term value, paying off debts, getting big jobs done like insurances, car service/MOT so I'd not have to face them without a means of paying ;)  I also overpaid the mortgage which gave me an option to underpay in future if need be :)

I earn very very little now but my pre-planning helps in that I've still savings and I also have a year old habit of watching spending carefully and it goes slower than it might have if I'd jumped from spending my whole salary to nothing overnight!

I wouldn't go back if they doubled my salary, despite the winter weather difficulties, the undone jobs, the penny pinching and staying home alone rather than spend on diesel unnecessarily ;)  That so me says it all - god given opportunity to change everything and I took it - best of luck to you :)

By the way, I am self employed smallholding/stud and self development consultancy/trainer/counsellor in various guises - one of which is coaching by phone if you have money to burn and want to talk through options or find some new ones ;D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:39:04 pm »
egbert

at  the age of 30 I had spent 10 years running businesses or departments of businesses for other people making them money and getting paid a reasonable salary but nothing to get exited about. I never really enjoyed work and one day i was offered an out with a pay off (it wasn't redundany but lose enough) I took it unfortunately it was very sudden so I hadn't planned anything...

after some soul searhing and disussion with my wife I set up on my own as a Landscaper i had always built gardens for fun but I decided to risk making money at it.

5 years on it will be at the beginning of April, now I earn a living, I will never be rich but I am happy and I get to spend a lot more time with my kids than when I worked for others...

My wife and I are currently looking to the next big move in our life relocating our family and starting the business all over again to allow us to live our lives the way we want too...

Whatever you decide make sure you will be happy thats all that matters at the end of the day.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:54 pm »
Some really, really good advice here - you are great people. :)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:21 pm »
You are - all great people  :bouquet:

I am currently a Fraud Strategy manager for a credit card company. I went to work for the company out of uni while looking for my 'real' job, 12 years later still there having worked my way up into a good position. I know I am good at problem solving, assessing situations, making quick decisions, regulatory and compliance, blah blah, not so good with people, I cannot stand managing whiners!

What I actually intended to do at 21 was go into journalism or publishing, but now I think I may have missed that boat as there is nothing local I could do that for and I cant move, now I have OH, houses, chickens and kids (in no particular order of priority) to think about.

What I WANT is to work part time or for myself so that I have time to be with my kids, drop them off at school and pick them up (very sore point for me having to leave my 4 year old with a child minder before and after school) and have time to do homework with them or cook tea and chat before bed.

Interests - this is where I get stuck as it seems a long time since I had time to have any interests! Reading, the internet (obvious places for me to start there and I do have a proof reading course that has been lying about for a few years), I am fascinated by the mechanics of small holding but I am not sure I have the patience or back for doing it full on . . .  I think I am more into research and theory than practicals.  ;) 

Still, you have made me do some thinking - thanks so much for the responses people!  :wave:
I have also spoken to my brother who was made redundant twice over the last 10 years, each time moving to a different job, and is now working for himself designing programs for iphone and has just today ordered his 1st porsche! Bachelor lifestyle!  ;D

Since I know how hard it is for me to know myself and what I want to be when I grow up  ;D  I feel even more sorry for the kids today who have to make decisions about what they want to do when they are only 18. Uni, apprenticeships - difficult decisions.  :(

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 03:18:34 pm »
Interesting set of skills there - if you're thinking along the lines of proof reading you could contact local university/college disability support teams and offer your services to disabled students (funded service) also thesis students (Masters/PhD level) particularly international students whose English is not first language.. 

A friend of mine (web developer) has a lucrative and busy sideline in indexing - she had a 3 stage training to do but is now getting plenty work and has already repaid the costs in a year.

If you are interested in compliance work, think not just finance but FOI/DPA consultancy.. many businesses can't afford an in house adviser..

Journalism may not be a late starting occupation but you could write articles for magazines/websites/marketing companies or just blog and it may take off - think Julie and Julia for instance ;D  A lot of this would have to be free to start with but you could get offers as a result..

Other random thoughts.. online shop of some kind, if you have a 4yo maybe something along the mumpreneur route? childrens' stories, childminding, fostering..

Think of the money you'll save from the childminder fees and maybe you won't actually be that worse off and have lots of time with your kids to enjoy too :)

Just a couple initial ideas..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 04:03:47 pm »
Thanks Ellied :bouquet:

There are some great ideas there - I was thinking about our local uni but didnt consider disabled students - I dont really know very much about the kind of services they would require. Definitely something to be looking into!  :)

I did start up a small online business a few years ago selling toys on Ebay, thinking I could start there and expand into my own online store. But the fees on Ebay, Paypal and postage were so crippling that there is very little profit to be had.  :-\  Definitely something to re-think though, avoiding Ebay this time.

Actually feeling a bit more excited now about possibilities!  :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 05:00:30 pm »
On the practical side - sorry can't help it being a retired accountant and Personnel manager  ;) - check up on what you are entitled to for redundancy payments.  Some companies offer more than the statutory sum, but make sure you find out what that is, and also check your contract to see what the redundancy package is for your own company. You can use company resources to seek further employment in most cases if not all (it's so long since I looked at it I can't remember if it's the law or not)
And don't be surprised if you are only given an hour to clear your desk - some positions are very sensitive and require that the employee has no opportunity to 'steal' information or assets.

These may help
http://www.redundancyuk.co.uk/
http://www.redundancyuk.co.uk/redundancy-advice/ready-for-redundancy
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:59:50 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 06:52:32 pm »
The advice you have been given is fantastic, i would look on this as a fresh start, an opportunity to do something you really want to do, something that fits round the family, you are being given the opportunity to start again grasp it with both hands, embrace it, and go with it, this could be a really exciting time for you,

Positive thinking no negative.  :wave:

wish you all the very best and good luck  :hshoe:  (not that you will need it)  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 07:01:07 pm »
A bit got missed from my last post(keyboard keeps jumping, sorry) - it should read:
You can usually use company resources to seek further employment in most cases if not all (it's so long since I looked at it I can't remember if it's the law or not)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS