Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whether to keep a Wether.........  (Read 4240 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Whether to keep a Wether.........
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:01:15 pm »
So, the ram has arrived. Our sheep fields are in sight of each other (t'other side of fence). Opinions on whether we should also keep a wether please.

:sheep:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Whether to keep a Wether.........
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »
I have a couple and they keep the rams company if they are seperated from the ewes

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 05:06:13 pm »
I have always had one about the place....usually a very friendly chap. Very useful for keeping youngstock company and teaching them to get penned and in trailer as he will lead. Useful for keeping sick or old sheep company, v useful as companion for rams.......and I just like having the odd one about!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »
Even though your ram is just a fence away from the ewes he would probably prefer a companion of his own.  It's not essential in those circumstances, but without one he might try to jump through.  Some people recommend a barren ewe - but I've never had a barren ewe  ???  Fortunately I have lots of males so it's never a problem.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:21:48 pm »
We have Dickie (no deliberate irony in the name  ;D). He keeps Leo company, then goes in with the tup lambs when they are weaned and brings them all over to be checked. He's very tame and eats hardly anything. And I like him  ;D

I wouldn't like to keep Leo on his own, so Dickie pays his way.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:55:08 pm »
As the majority of my shetland wethers go to the freezer at about 18 months I always have some wethers about. It is extra hay/haylage and some (only a little) feed over the winter, but also means I can tak ethe tup out without worrying about him (not all my fields are in sight of each other - fortunately, stops the boy mooching at the side of the fence for hours on end),, and I can keep female hogglambs and ewes together in one big field.

also am biased - I think hogget and/or mutton is just miles better meat than lamb!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:07 pm »
Anke, You are so right about hogget & mutton,I usually have a few wethers about the place but have one pet called Shawn, [The kids named him] and he is all that has been already mentioned. I would allways have a wether about.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:01:50 am »
We have a couple of wethers for mutton and they run with the ewes - no problem so far!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS