Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to make a profit on ten acres and fewer  (Read 30903 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: How to make a profit on ten acres and fewer
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 07:03:25 pm »
 ;D  our 3rd child was my husband's 40th birthday 'present' lol, ironically her due date fell on my birthday! so now we know there are 40 weeks between our birthday's aaaah!

profit from less than 10 acres - my soap making business brings in some profit now but that's more down to the goats we keep and I guess the more milkers we had, the more milk I could turn into soap = (potentially) more profit. 
If we had the legal paperwork the plum wine could bring in some dosh, a local vintner actually asked about buying it in very large quanitities but tony works full time and plums only come once a year and for 6 weeks really!
not enough to live on but with hubby working its certainly bringing a part time income that pays for holidays/etc (baaath time, that is) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »
We did exactly the same, and our son was born almost exactly 9 months after we completed the purchase of our 10 acre smallholding!!!!!  :P

That must have been some celebration - we just exchange missives here  ;D

:D :D Very Good!!  ;D ;D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Sandy

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 10:40:02 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Great news Rosemary. I have no land but would love to look into growing some individual product, my daughter in Austrailia says growing Lavender is liquid gold, so how feasable is that, like I said before, what about legal highs such as Salvia!!!! I remember seeing some one making a fortune out of growing blue berries!!!!! The market is there but to make money is a fine art!!

Fruit of gods

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 10:51:41 am »
Worm farming is something that can be both low input or high input as to your situation.

Weve always hatched eggs and get paid for each egg in the incubators(it can take 8000) but this is mainly with rare breed chickens and ducks and then have our own geese and turkeys for crimbo. Have never had a problem getting rid but the problem is that its seasonal.

The worm farming is all year round if you provide insulated homes for them, we used motorbike tyres stacked on top of each other with wire mesh on the bottom of each.
This enabled us to first of all get £1.50 per tyre for taking them and then just build each stack up to a workable hight while having the bottom tyre on some corrugated board or with some damp proof membrane and a slight lean to one side for the precious worm tea that becomes available.  Then its just a case of feed on the top, then the next day restack the tyres and feed from the top again.. (worms will only work the top 4inch's of soil so you need to restack or turnover to make them work...
Just a thought....

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 11:43:01 am »
Sounds good, I remember a programme about snail farming too!!!!!

Fruit of gods

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »
The good things with worms is that the fisherman love them,
They're some of the best composters
Once theyve eaten all the food they leave behind castings which are like black gold for the gardeners of this world.
And the best of it is, if the fishermen dont want any more or out of season, a fert company will by as much as you can supply at £15kg.

Weve been working with worms and refining low input and high input methods for diff levels of production and with my other half being an old pig farmer, or should I say a young chicken of a pig farmer, she has been cery methodical about how we set up each test bed and measured the results..
As ive said before, if you would like any help with setting up and supply, then please dont hesitate.
Weve been to most if not all of the commercial farms in Europe and no one in the UK, that we know off, have all year round production....
Just wanted to plant a few seeds, or even worms ;D

Fruit of gods

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 12:10:34 pm »
A lot of commercial farmers asked for our help to reduce their manure heaps or animal waste and this is how we got into worms, the thing is that it not only helps reduce your manure/animal waste and convert into plant food to be used or sold on.

If you want any more info, please feel free to contact us.

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 02:20:28 pm »
pm sent  :)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 05:48:38 pm »
thanks for this, I know that there are people making a living off 10 acres and less, find your niche market and cut out the middle men.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS