Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The House Cow  (Read 22769 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: The House Cow
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:44 pm »
Have you tried cheese and butter making?

I have made butter, clotted cream, creme fraiche, cream, semi-hard and hard cheeses - but all for other people!

Butter-making is VERY hard work, even with an electric churn.  Home-made butter for special occasions only I think!

One thing I haven't had to do for myself before is source the various cultures for the various products - and keep the cross-contamination to a minimum.

I am hoping to find out more about and try some traditional methods and products (eg, 'clobber' - milk left on the warm plate overnight, and other less scientific and simpler ways to make cheeses.)  Anyone know any good recipes / techniques?

Cheers
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »
We have got three cows that we milk (although they are only all in milk during the summer). We have a BBX jersey, a BBx Friesan and a recently acquired Jersey.

In my experience the BBxJersey is the best house cow. You get the really high quality milk, docility, but a calf that is potentially more valuable that from pure jersey.
There are loads of ways to manage house cows and the calves and everyone finds a different way of doing things that suits them.

We milk the cows by machine (we were lucky to pick one up fairly cheaply) but all the cows are equally happy to be milked by hand - in case of power cuts! The calves are bucket reared and we also buy in extra calves to rear on the surplus milk. Any milk over and above what the calves have, goes to the pigs. Cows are at grass in the summer and housed over the winter.

We produce all our own milk, make butter, yoghurt, ice cream, cheese etc.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 01:54:45 pm »
How about doing a house cow book?

I did contact the Shetland Cattle Breeders Association - they generally give about 12litres a day, on average, peaking at 20-24litres. Butterfat is about 5%. So enough to share, I think  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 03:35:42 pm »

This guy's done one, looks like it gets published in the US in a couple of months, July here:

The Family Cow Handbook: A Guide to Keeping a Milk Cow
by Philip Hasheider

No doubt someone here will get a copy and let us know if we should all get one!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 03:37:45 pm »

There will be a substantial section on House cows and cattle generally in the next book -  which is in the pipeline.

Tim wrote a bi-monthly six part series on house cows for Country Smallholding, but it is quite a while ago now.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 05:05:48 pm »

This guy's done one, looks like it gets published in the US in a couple of months, July here:

by Philip Hasheider

This book is now published over here.  Has anyone seen a copy?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 01:40:16 am »

by Philip Hasheider

This book is now published over here.  Has anyone seen a copy?

Well, no-one else seemed to have seen it so I have bought a copy.

It's a nice book, well-written, easy to read, lots of nice colour photos.  I've skim-read it and it seems to cover most of what you would want to know.

It is, however, very American and has not been edited for a European or UK market at all.  Immediately obvious areas that would benefit from localisation include:
  • breeds of cattle suitable for a house cow - many are similar or the same, a few described are not available here, and a large number of less mainstream British breeds are not there (no Kerry, no Gloucester, no Galloway, no Shetland, no Blue Grey - and no mention of British Blue in the crossbred section either; Dexter is there, and Milking Devon, which is a US descendant of the Red Devon)
  • the book seems to assume that you'll have a single cow (although there are many pictures of two-cow systems being used) and, although it does talk about ruminants being social, it states that a dairy cow will do fine even if she's the only animal on the farm - not something we would feel comfortable about over here
  • diseases and related topics - for instance, it talks about getting a cow that's been vaccinated against TB, which is not an option here, and doesn't mention BVD, IBR or Bluetongue at all
  • American weather (it hardly mentions rain! but spends a lot of time talking about heat and humidity)
  • American availability of grass and grain give a slightly different feel to discussions of feeding
  • pretty much all of the UK is copper deficient, but copper is not mentioned in this book

All in all, I would still recommend Valerie Porter's "Cows for the Smallholder" for a UK-based person wanting to get a house cow.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 07:51:10 pm »
We got 2 Jersey heifers beginning of last month that we plan on having as house cows.  Thank you for this thread, it's been informative, can't wait until my girls are big enough to have babies and then I can get started with being a domestic goddess and making my own dairy products  ;D
They're a nice change from screaming pigs  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 09:42:34 pm »
Oh, congratulations on your beautiful girls!  Piccies.... please?  :D

Today my Hillie has been giving me big loves - resting her head on my shoulder and having her jaw rubbed.  Ahhhh.  :-*   :love:  :cow:

She is an ace communicator - she doesn't speak English but she's great at pointing.  For instance :

Hillie: (pointedly licks silage wrap used as insulation around water pipe) means "Grass no good, time for silage"  (She got hay, we weren't ready to start on the silage just then!)
Hillie: (pointedly licks empty green Crystalyx bucket in the byre) means "Our minerals tub in our field is empty" - it was.

She is thoroughly spoiled and we don't deny it - but then she works harder than any other coo on the farm!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 01:23:11 am »
Its a pity this thread didn't come up early 2011. My ex-neighbour (I moved) was a 76 year old farmer who had always kept a house cow. The one he had all the time I lived there was a red poll. He used it for all kinds of things, would put it in with his herd for a few weeks before he got them in for winter - he walked them along the roads and she knew her way home. I think he used to put it to an angus.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 01:45:20 pm »
Its a pity this thread didn't come up early 2011.
Uh, here's the initial post in this thread:
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=13031.msg126973#msg126973
dated 22nd Feb 2011

Nice story about your neighbour, anyway.  We do use Hillie to lead / show the others where to go / what to do.  BH says she'll follow me anywhere  :D

We're just commissioning our refurbished cubicle shed, and Hillie's been showing the others how to get up into the cubicles.  She has a 'get up' command, which I use to get her back onto the milking platform if she steps back when she finishes her cake, so I just used that to get her into the cubicles.  Sadly I'd never taught her a 'lie down' command so we just had to wait for nature to take its course to get that bit! 

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »
I kept a series of Jersey House Cows for many years and made the usual butter, clotted cream and ice cream etc. even had a go at cheese

I started with Valerie Porter's "Cows for the Smallholder" and that gave me a pretty good start, after reading Self Sufficiency to whet my appetite.   Just jumped in with both feet, and it seemed to work, but I wish I the internet had been around then.  I found this a while ago with lots of interesting info

http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cgi
All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 05:14:26 pm »
I found this a while ago with lots of interesting info

http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cgi

Sounds great - but nothing is working today!  Will try again another day  :)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 05:53:44 pm »
Hi there - just gave it a try and its working for me.  But you do have to register to use the forum etc.  I did and it was no hassle and they don't pester you or anything.  Give it another try but register when you get there

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 07:31:09 pm »
Hi Sue
I tried to register first, then tried every other option.  But I tried again later - and realised that the top part of the page is all a banner, the content is changing way down below.  ::)  Bit of a nuisance to have to keep scrolling down every time you move to another page, but at least I'm in and registered now.  Thanks for the tip - I think I will get a lot from that site. :thumbsup: 
Cheers, Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS