Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame weaner  (Read 8954 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Lame weaner
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:33:55 am »
Hi there.

Can anyone give me some advice? We have 4 weaners of approx 15 weeks old. They are all well except for one who is lame. We noticed that he had an occasional limp on a hind leg last week. I checked him and he had no obvious injuries or swelling, although i was unable to have a good look at his foot.

We went away for the weekend and they were looked after by my in laws but now he is worse and apparently had a bit of trouble getting up this morning. He seems to get better in the afternoon and is still eating well etc and sometimes we cannot tell he is lame. Could it just be a muscle strain or could it be an infection or something? I read that we should isolate him and see if he gets better and if he shows no sign of improvement or gets worse, we should destroy him. I don't want him to suffer, but I would like to give him the chance to recover if possible and any advice would be welcome (food, treatment etc). We will be sorting out a nice comfy hospital pen for him this evening.

Thanks in advance

p

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Lame weaner
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:58:06 am »
Hi
I wouldn't isolate him as this will stress him considerably. Sounds to me like he has either strained himself or has a touch of arthritis. Anything more sinister there would be heat & pain. I would call the vet and ask him for either a metacam jab or metacam liquid which will help him. The vet will need an approx. weight of the pig. So long as he's eating, drinking and doing what the others do he should recover.
HTH Mandy :pig:

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:00:59 am »
Ok - thank you very much. I'll ask the vet for metacam and make all four of them a little more comfy. They have excavated their whole outdoor run and there are some bit stones etc so perhaps he hurt himself on one of them.

I'll wait and hope that he gets better. I'll check for heat and sweeling again as well.

Anythings I should watch out for which would mean that he should be put out of his misery immediately?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:04:51 am »
Just if he's visibly in pain and won't let you touch him which might suggest a break but from what you say it sounds like he's overdone the digging!! :D
Make sure he has a nice straw bed in their house, rest & time are great healers.
i'm sure he will be fine.
Best Mandy

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 10:08:17 am »
We had exactly this last year with one of our weaners, it was first time as pig keepers for us and so as he was no better by the end of the day I called the vet out, she could not find anything specific, but gave antibiotic injection and painkiller which we had to then do for the next 4 days. On hindsight, I think I would have given him a little more time, as soon as he had the painkiller he was up and right as rain in about an hour! So was probably a muscle strain or something like that. We have not got any this year as we have decided to build a smaller run, they had a large area that was L shaped and we think that he may have hurt himself running round the corner at feed time.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:12:14 am »
yes they are extremely active and run around alot. All that food being burnt off as energy - boo hoo! At leats they seem happy but perhaps we'll try a slightly smaller area next time and rotate it instead.

Thanks for the reassurance. We'll give him a bit of time

p

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:41:25 am »
Just an update if you are interested.

Mr Pig got much worse very quickly so I rang the vet, just in case and got some antibiotics to treat joint infection. First day was first time giving an injection in a pig but it went Ok. Today was the third and last jab and he is so much better that it took me half an hour to corner him and give the jab. Good to see him looking so well and i am glad I don't have to do it again now he can run :-)

Now we know what to look for in the others just in case. 4 weeks to go....

Thanks for your advice

P

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:53:13 am »
Pleased to hear he's on the mend, always fun trying to jab pigs ;D
Mandy  :pig:

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:14:00 pm »
Glad piggy is better, we had such fun injecting ours NOT! Its ok when the vet comes out because the animal is in pain and does not move much, different story when he is feeling better!!!

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 02:47:50 pm »
He had another bout of it so another course of jabs. Really hope he makes it through the 3 week dry off period - it would be such a waste if he can't go to the abbatoir because he is lame. Anybody had any experience of culling at  home? Can you still eat the pork?

Injecting pigs is really hard, espacially as they don't have wellies to get stuck in the mud and can run alot faster than me (even when they are hobbling) :-)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 05:27:20 pm »
So you are having them slaughtered at 5 months old? That seems quite young to me.... or have I done my sums wrong?
Last year our 4 GOS boys went off at 7 months (tad over in fact) and killed out at between 65 and 82 kg, at 5 months old they were appreciably smaller
Just curious  ;)
Tish

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 05:28:10 pm »
Oh yes, forgot to say hope the lame weaner gets better  ;D

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »
We are really new at this and although our boys aren't very big, we are worried about boar taint and they are also very boisterous with each other.

Lame Mr pig is much better after his 2nd course of drugs - thanks

I have booked them in at the abbatoir now. Not sure we can afford ot feed them much longer - is it not a law of diminishing returns after a while?

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 09:59:50 pm »
your pigs are approx 5mths old(from your first post) the main thing with any animal is to give it the best life it can get yes there are tough economic times and feed does cost £300 a ton pigs are a great choice of animal but caution should be exercised as with any stock
the amount of animals purchased what your intentions for them are and a good understanding of what you are buying pigs are being offloaded around the country creating future problems it is easier to keep 2 than 22. gilts or castrated males are better than entire males
i am struggling to be kind and diplomatic on this both for yourself and others that are in a similar situation the only entire males that we sell are for breading that is our choice and experience
your short venture into the happy world of pig keeping has been a learning curve and hope it does not prevent you or others from having pigs ask questions before you buy pigs even if the questions seem stupid the amount of questions we have been asked when selling pigs has been huge
now the diminishing returns fed correctly they double there weight every few months(i weight record my pigs and when completed with the pigs this year will post on here)i have posted the weight and growth of butch on here   take care and happy pigging about :wave: :wave:

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 10:14:11 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I had read that they shouldn't be left to 6 months as they will get  boar taint, so we thought we'd let them go earlier but I'll have another think. So do you think the food we put in will be worth the extra pork at the end? We are definitely getting gilts next time so we can keep them a bit longer and not worry about all the 'naughtiness' in the paddock all day every day....... :-)

still lots to learn but very fun and rewarding

P

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS