Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eggs?  (Read 11599 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: Eggs?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 12:12:49 am »
A big favourite with my little tribe is 'french toast' or 'eggy bread' - quick and tasty. Beat eggs, dip in bread, fry/griddle till brown. Can be savoury (e.g. with grated cheese) or sweet (with jam) or just as it is. My wife has started doing 'eggy crumpets' which, when I come in from a wet and windy afternoon in fields are quite frankly culinary perfection!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 09:28:27 pm »
Eggy bread is definitely a hit with the kids in our house, if not so much with me.... never heard of eggy crumpets though...

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 02:20:53 pm »
Ellie, you can also freeze them for when your hens aren't laying.  Either beaten or separated and the whites and yolks frozen separately.

Can you tell me how long the will keep in the freezer before they need using? Have frozen a batch this morning and am looking for the answer :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 02:59:54 pm »
I just thawed some I had frozen in the autumn. The yolks do thaw a bit funny, look as if they'd been cooked. But I put them in a blender for quiche and they then behaved like normal. But I will freeze them scrambled next time, see if that makes a difference. No idea how long they'd keep! Some whiteds I had for 2 years (found at the back) and they were absolutely fine.

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 10:56:00 pm »
we did the cake, quiche, pancake eg so now I may seperate and freeze them, just need some more little box's

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 08:25:39 am »
cream cheese tubs or similar as long as they have a lid ;D :&>

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 03:21:07 pm »
We're getting 15-20 eggs a day at the moment and I can't find anyone else to give them away to. In desperation I made some pasta...all I can say is "WOW". 6 eggs to a pound of plain flour makes enough pasta for around 12 portions. No need for any machines, mix it up in a mixer and kneed by hand or with a dough tool (if your mixer has one), roll out as thin as you can and do your thing with it. The best thing about it is you can freeze it for the winter when the eggs are less bountiful.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 09:11:53 pm »
We're getting 15-20 eggs a day at the moment and I can't find anyone else to give them away to. In desperation I made some pasta...all I can say is "WOW". 6 eggs to a pound of plain flour makes enough pasta for around 12 portions. No need for any machines, mix it up in a mixer and kneed by hand or with a dough tool (if your mixer has one), roll out as thin as you can and do your thing with it. The best thing about it is you can freeze it for the winter when the eggs are less bountiful.

did you just use ordinary plain four?  not pasta flour?

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 10:09:04 am »
To be honest, I just used Tesco value plain flour...the pasta was really yummy. Maybe if I had used pasta flour it would have been even yummier, but we live in the very north of scotland and they haven't actually heard of pasta flour up here  ;D.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 10:19:34 pm »
To be honest, I just used Tesco value plain flour...the pasta was really yummy. Maybe if I had used pasta flour it would have been even yummier, but we live in the very north of scotland and they haven't actually heard of pasta flour up here  ;D.

LOL

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS