Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eggs?  (Read 11587 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Eggs?
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:27:34 pm »
ellied, you'd save LOADS.....make up a list and go for it I say :)

This was in response to me thinking perhaps I could do more with home laid chicken eggs than I'd thought, and it's got me thinking..

I was looking at the price of free range eggs the other day and they're so expensive now :o tho I have a source for about £1 a half dozen at the mo which is far better..  Tho I then read about a large scale free range egg producer having to sell up because she can't make a living any more :(  And I guess runs, coops, bits and bobs, feed, wormers etc may make "my" eggs more expensive not to mention the time and hassle any livestock add to life ;D  None of that has ever stopped me tho ;)

But what holds me back is that I don't actually seem to use that many as eggs, tho I like an omelette or a boiled egg occasionally I don't eat them every day.. I also tend to use them in quiches because I can't stand the quiches you buy in shops, they're so bland :( but not even every week..

I thought that was about it but I am definitely keen on mayo now I know how to make it (subject to successfully doing so!) and I am wondering if I could manage lemon curd as I think that has eggs but no idea other than lemons and sugar presumably..

So what do people do with all the eggs if they have say half a dozen chucks producing 6 a week that's 3 dozen eggs a week :o  I'm lucky if I buy half a dozen a month ::) but what am I missing???

Egg recipes please? :)  Must be simple, vegetarian and not be all so fattening I double in size cos I'm trying to live more off the land and less on supermarket bland brands but not by adding tonnes more sugar to my diet ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
Re: Eggs?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:07:58 pm »
Hollandaise sauce (used for salmon/asparagus/Eggs Benedict), cornish/vanilla ice cream, choux pastry (profiteroles/gateaux St. Honore/gougere ((spelling?)) ).

Check out 'Eggs' book by (I think, ? one of the Roux brothers).

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 08:16:39 pm »
Spanish Omelets are really nice with salad and you can ring the changes with lots of different sort of veg too.

Souffle is nice and nowhere near as difficult as people like to make out, plus its very impressive if you are entertaining. You can have savory or sweet ones

Ice cream is lovely and you can make lots of different sorts and keep them in smallish lidded tubs in the freezer

I think you could probably make scotch eggs using a vegetarian type stuffing instead of sausage meat

Bread and butter pudding

Egg custard and creme caramel type dishes

Maybe the last two are a bit fattening but not too bad if you didn't have big portions
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:53:05 pm »
Pickled eggs.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:10:29 pm »
i know you said not fattening but cakes,cakes,cakes!!i have a day now and again when i go mad baking..then i take some to friends,work,family and the husband about polishes off the rest...always well received by all and a great way to use them up!!lol... ;)
'can't rain all the time!'

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:46:20 pm »
Ellie, you can also freeze them for when your hens aren't laying.  Either beaten or separated and the whites and yolks frozen separately.

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:10:07 pm »
Yorkshire Pudding not sure how that would go down with any diets but its soooo good lol..............When i have a glut of eggs I
always make up and freeze the yorkshire mix....freezes well and the taste is just the same

Enjoy

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:55:27 am »
I picked up a book at the dom fowl trust called something like 'hens in the garden, eggs in the kitchen' and the recipes are really good. I always get the book out when we start out spring egg glut!
Meringues are good if you want low fat aren't they? I' ve been baking non-stop this week but nothing lasts long with my 4 children and hubby around  ::)
having said that egg sales have increased by 300% at plummy towers so we'll be lucky to get our sunday egg brekkie at this rate!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:06:39 am »
hi
go for it
you'll have locals wanting any excess and we have 15 birds and selling their eggs easily cover the cost of feed they have. :yum: :yum:
(We didn't include cost of bird or shed initially but the girls are making a dent in that now too)
remember they usually have a rest day or two a week)  :chook: :chook:

i use eggs sporadically as well, on week use loads ; the next - very few!!!

we always have people asking and we have run out ; so much so we have just brought another 5!!!!!! ;)
Mx

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:15:43 am »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:58:54 am by northfifeduckling »

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 11:54:22 am »
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/513749/eggy-bubble-and-squeak-cakes
we tried this, we couldnt get them to stay together as cakes but just made a bubble and squeak, it really does change the taste adding eggs.
kn

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 11:59:05 am »
egg yolks for carbonara type pasta sauces - whites can be used for meringues
tortilla type omelettes with salad (saturday brunch)
egg fried rice
cakes!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »
I am working my way through about 60 (!) eggs in the fridge (OH was on holiday last week, and I refuse to give them away!). Making icecream (but not lowfat option), meringues from the whites (yolks in the custard), been baking like no tomorrow (freezer full of sponges, ready to be sandwiched together in the summer when rasps are about), use up about 10 once per week for omelette for tea (we are four), put one into bread mixture every day...., and sold some hens...

Also regularly make lemon curd (but butter is expensive atm) and custards for fruit.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 05:20:37 pm »
I am working my way through about 60 (!) eggs in the fridge (OH was on holiday last week, and I refuse to give them away!). Making icecream (but not lowfat option), meringues from the whites (yolks in the custard), been baking like no tomorrow (freezer full of sponges, ready to be sandwiched together in the summer when rasps are about), use up about 10 once per week for omelette for tea (we are four), put one into bread mixture every day...., and sold some hens...

Also regularly make lemon curd (but butter is expensive atm) and custards for fruit.

ive done icecream today (well am in the process the custard is in the fridge cooling at the moment) and meringues are in the oven as I type!!! will report back tomorrow with results!!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:56:37 pm »
merenguie are good if a bit gooey

icecream is yummy!!! did chocolate as a first try and it needs more chocolate but texture and hint of flavour is delicious, price works out good too for the equivalent price of cheap own brand ice cream quality is more like a luxury brand!!!

next week i will try a fruit one i think!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS