Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: twin lamb disease  (Read 32336 times)

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
twin lamb disease
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:33:29 am »
or pregnancy toxaemia :(                          despite our very best efforts we look like losing a really good ewe to this                     absolutely no idea why   what we could have done to avoid it   if at all   or if the rest of the flock are likely to be at risk

Can anyone offer any help?

Absolutely gutted      and seriously concerned :(((

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Re: twin lamb disease
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:39:23 am »
I read about this and was told about twin lamb disease by my local supplier, so I was sure to make sure i fed the right amounts for the steaming up period, needless to say its not easy to make sure that the ewes with twins and triplets(if you get them scanned, which I didnt) are fed more as with small numbers its not always easy to split them up, so what I did also was to get a vitimin and mineral drench..... so if once I brought them in I gave them all a shot, it gives them a boost if they are low in any vits and mins.

So far Ive had no problems yet in this area !! fingers crossed!!

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:38:42 am »
You need to get some dextrose down her neck as soon as possible. Anything which will give her an energy boost. 'Lectade' was always the thing to have around, pre-lambing, but Lucosade or Irn Bru would probably help her out. A straight glucose solution @ 2oz to half pint of warm water will help. For a rapid response, intravenous injection of solution is recommended.

Preg Tox in ewes is due to a number of metabolic disorders which can be triggered by a period of bad weather, shortage of appropriate feed, lack of water in hard weather. Ewes which are too fat early in their pregnancy are particularly susceptible to PT.

The normal metabolic routine is disrupted and a rapid build-up of toxins in the ewe's system is the result. Affected ewes become unresponsive to stimuli, seemingly oblivious to the presence of the shepherd, and unable to get around; they seem to be visually impaired, with widely-dilated pupils and, if got to their feet, they may stagger around with a high-stepping gait, and just want to lie down.

Acetonaemia may be one of the complications, and the characteristic 'pear-drop' scented breath and urine will confirm this.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 10:40:49 am by AengusOg »

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:05:26 am »
 we had a case 2 years ago, she's and older mother and the vet also advised to dose with glucose, I think we caught her early, and she went to have 2 more lots of lambs and is as spritley as ever, fingers crossed for you both

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:31:52 pm »
Treatment is very difficult,you can up the energy intake of the other ewes quickly by useing something like crystlix or a glucose bucket

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:30 am »
Thank you.....

Sadly despite lots of effort we've lost her :'(

This is our 4th year lambing and never experienced it before   they've had good sweet hay   mineral licks etc   just started supplements before lambing end march early april

Can't do right for doing wrong :(((

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:20:43 am »
sorry to hear this news, an old french farming friend told us not to take on sheep as they have a death wish ! but we have been lucky and only suffered one newborn lamb die in 6 years.
I'm sure you have given the very best care and did all you could for this ewe, but things still go wrong, dont beat yourself up about it and keep giving the care and attention to the others and look forward to new arrivals end March.
We all look forward to some lovely pics of your newborn lambs
take care

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:54:17 am »
Really sorry for your loss.  :(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:57:03 pm »
Ah, shame - you did all you could.  :bouquet:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 03:33:21 pm »
Hi Padge.  So sorry you have lost a good ewe.  It does happen sometimes in spite of our best efforts, but very sad.  Now you need to have a good look at the rest of your flock to see what might have been the cause.  Usually it happens in an older ewe whose teeth are starting to go - remember, sheep have back molars as well as the teeth at the front and these are difficult to check but occasionally fall out.  Make sure they have a mineral block, as well as some coarse sheep mix and their hay.  If you still have more lambing to go, buy in some Calciject and inject any ewes showing the first signs of being 'hangdog' or becoming unresponsive.  You won't cause any problems if you dose in error, but you can save a life + lambs if you act quickly.  Any which show a miraculous recovery within 20-30 mins have had Hypocalcaemia and will need extra feed throughout the rest of their pregnancy and milking.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 07:03:01 pm »
I think we are going to lose a ewe to it as well  :'(despite her having been fed through the winter with sheep feed and good hay, and having good teeth, and despite vet saying we caught her fairly early a week ago and giving all the calciject and other treatments. She had seemed to be improving but today has stopped eating her hay. Am still syringing down liquid feed but think I will probably lose this battle as Im not convinced she is interested any more.

All the rest of the sheep seem to be thriving from feeling their condition when we Heptavacd them last weekend, just hope that really is the case. Theres only three other older ewes, all the rest are first timers, which brings its own challenges, just those are a few weeks off....

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 07:39:48 pm »
I wish you all the best llm     we have 2 others showing signs currently and are hoping we have caught them in time    we can only hope :'( :'(

they all looked fit and healthy   really good condition                 caught out there

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 07:47:41 pm »
Sorry you think shes going if shes been down for a week and sick the lambs may be dead/dying.The  causes can be many small things age teeth number of lambs weather diet minerals handling treatments etc. look at energy in the form of molases liquid or blocks/buckets
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:00:00 pm by shep53 »

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 07:59:08 pm »
according to our vet she will almost certainly abort the lambs   following which you have a 50% chance of the ewe surviving    tho a much more experienced friend of ours insists that the odds are against you at the first signs     which is really gutting

You can only do your best and have your animals best interests at heart

sadly   sometimes you get beaten :'( :sheep: :sheep:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 08:04:27 pm »
Dont give up PADGE if youve caught these two at the first signs you may pull them round

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS