Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent help needed  (Read 8943 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Urgent help needed
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »
I have had surprise lambs today they were triplets but one was still born. They are tiny and mum has no milk yet. I only had one sachets of colostrum which I have shared between them but have nothing more. Is there anything I can give them until tomorrow when I can get some milk until mum get milk. She is a first time mum

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Urgent help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:31:10 pm »
I just wish I could help you I have 2 lambs as pets but do not know much about them, but you will soon get some help on here I hope, and I do wish you and the lambs all the best hope they get on ok  good luck . . .

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:56:12 pm »
Are you quite sure she has no milk?  Have you had a good try and milking her, because there's usually something there.  If she's a first time mum her udder will not be as big as the others.  It might be worth having another try. Of you have another ewe with lambs you could milk her and give some to the new arrivals.   Keep us posted!! 

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:03:34 pm »
No milk at all I have been trying fir an hour and nothing. I have milked sheep before and she has nothing at the moment. The lamb are frozen so I have had to bring them in. My good friend who has farmed sheep for a long time has told me to give them baby milk until I get sone lamlac in the morning and hopefully mum will produce a bit milk tomorrow. The other sheep aren't due for a few weeks I think she has gone early because of the triplets. The poor little things are only as big as my hand but took the colostrum from a bottle no bother. Keep your fingers crossed for them and I'll keep you posted

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:51:41 pm »
In an emergency you can make a substitute ive used it once   740ml full fat cows milk ( jersey maybe even better )   1beaten egg   1teaspoon cod liver oil    1dessert spoon sugar ,found a differant one  6 egg whites in a pint of skim milk. The ewe may need a little oxytocin to encourage milk let down (vet).

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »
good luck  i have got everything crossed for you and them  :hshoe: :wave:

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:34:53 pm »

Hi ellisr
Do you know anybody else who keeps sheep or goats in your area?--- maybe a chance they have some frozen colostrum or powdered substitute,
---- if not perhaps there is someone at your vets tonight? they will most likely stock powdered colostrum and ewe milk substitute there.
You have done the right thing-- to get them warmed up
Wish I was nearer to offer help.

Good luck
Tilly

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:50:59 pm »
I'm just outside wellington and I have collostrum and milk powder.  Call 07890 418133

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:19:06 pm »
Sorry I fell asleep. It is very soothing with lambs inside your jacket. I don't have a car to get anywhere as OH is out. He is picking up a little baby milk and should be here shortly just need to get them over the next 10 hours then they'll have everything they need

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 12:05:53 am »
Do you have any dextrose?  Even probably sugar water would be better than nothing.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 12:14:15 am »
They have just had a carton of baby milk between them and a good run around and now have settled in the pen to have a nap. Oh is taking the night shift as I have to be up at 5.30 for work. Thanks for all the advice and very kind offers.
Mum is settled in the chicken pen and really hasn't noticed her babies are gone so we will see what tomorrow brings

tuggers1956

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 07:25:29 am »
If you’re an experienced lamber then I’m sure you will have, but have you tried thumping the underside of the Ewes udder? You will have noticed that Calves and Lambs all head butt their mother’s udders prior to feeding; this is a trigger to milk let down.
In the past I’ve found that first time mums, especially with first time colostrum, are reluctant to let their milk down.
I’m afraid this could be just the start of your problems with this Ewe as there is a good chance she will now reject her lambs.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 07:49:17 am »
Yeah I did thump the udder and massaged but nothing. OH is going to give it a go again this morning as she is calling for her lambs so he is going to take them back up and try and stimulate the milk again. If she does reject them then they will just be hand raised

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 12:01:41 pm »
Fingers crossed for you all. Sounds like the lambs are feisty enough.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:15:15 pm »
OH has just gave them a bottle of lamlac each and they are crying for more so he is going to take them to mum and try to get her milk going. If we can get her milk to drop and she rejects them I will fashion an adopter so they can still feed from her as mums milk is best.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS