Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: blatent request for information about central scotland  (Read 4288 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
blatent request for information about central scotland
« on: February 15, 2011, 01:59:08 pm »
right i know lots of you live in central scotland and there abouts so i'm after some information as i'm all googled out and real people are usually more helpful anyway (i'm guessing your real people obviously)

it is now a distinct possibility we will be able to relocate to Scotland (need to be within easy commute of Stirling) as my wife is hopefully going to be a student there next year...

I run a landscaping business in the midlands but am more than happy to relocate but I would like to restart some form of business in the same or a related feild, so my questions are:

Are there a glut of landscapers/fencing contractors paving companies in the area?

and/or

Are there any jobs that people would regularly look to contract out and can't find contractors for?

As part of work currently I am used to travelling a fair bit so i'm not fussed that many of my prospective new clients may be a bit of a trek from wherever we settle.

this is all part of my research as to what we can afford when we get there...

if we come to Scotland its a permenant relocation so we want to get it right...

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: blatent request for information about central scotland
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 02:02:13 pm »
hi cant help with any of your questions, but wish you all the best for the future  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:24:19 pm »
i am assuming you will want to stay within a reasonable distance to bridge of Allen(campus location)
there will be a lot of opportunity's for your skills in the central belt (depends on you charges)
there are always opportunity's it is just being at the right place at the right time
good luck

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »
im aware i wont be able to charge midland prices

but i have all the kit so it would be silly not to try

i think we will be in a position when we move that to get me started i may be able to keep my prices reasonable to get established...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 03:55:13 pm »
I'm trying to move to that area myself but it isn't easy ::)

Generally the Hillfoot villages east of Stirling are cheaper than the land to the west which is a major hay producing area in the carse but as the University is north of the city the hillfoots may well be an option.  Just to the north are Doune & Dunblane but they're quite pricey.  They and Bridge of Allan may be a good base for landscaping clients but I don't know who's around there already I'm afraid, the only landscaper I know west of Stirling is over Balfron way and most of his work is south towards Glasgow..

Best of luck and if you do make the move, I hope to be in the neighbourhood myself by then :) and may well need some fencing done ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »
Lots of landscape gardeners around Edinburgh and Glasgow.  Houses round Uni very expensive and not a lot of land/garden, but perhaps lucrative for your business.  Depends what money you have available.  Dan and Rosemary's place at Alloa might suit you, lovely house and well organised land, although only about one and a half acres I think.  It's in market place on here.  Use yahoo and search landscape gardeners central Scotland
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 06:01:01 pm »
Look at our house, look at our house! 9 miles from Stirling - walking distance to Alloa Town Centre and the bus and train stations. It's for let if you want to try before you buy. Four bedrooms, wood burner, range cooker, veg garden, field shelter, pig pens, orchard. Views to the Ochil Hills and Wallace Monument to the North and the River Forth to the South.  ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 06:05:03 pm »
rosemary

its on our radar

if its not gone by the time we get a decision on my wifes uni place we will be in touch

if i can sell my place here in the meantime we may risk it anyway as we will have money in the bank to buy us time whilst i establish a business!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:00:05 pm »
Hope you make it then I can come and visit again  ;) I love it over there.  Even on the wettest day ever when I first went for lunch with Carol, Jane and Rosemary, ti was beautiful looking over to the island.  When do I get my fee Rosemary   ;)  Only joking - a cuddle off Smokey will do ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 10:05:23 pm »
lol were at the point of planning to bring the kids up at easter to look round the area as my wife and i have been before and love it but they haven't

then i have to put together a business plan which is easy enough, i.e what i do now but with no existing clients
(it only took me 4 years to get sorted this time)

we will then move anyway and enjoy the better quality of life we can give our kids, it may not be a safe choice but if we don't take a risk now we may never get there...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:07:28 pm »
lol were at the point of planning to bring the kids up at easter to look round the area as my wife and i have been before and love it but they haven't

then i have to put together a business plan which is easy enough, i.e what i do now but with no existing clients
(it only took me 4 years to get sorted this time)

we will then move anyway and enjoy the better quality of life we can give our kids, it may not be a safe choice but if we don't take a risk now we may never get there...
Let us know when you plane to come up - there are probably a few of us who could put you up, and there's always Sandy and Steve's B & B in Clackmannan - 5 minutes from Rosemary's old place approx

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 06:34:16 pm »
To be honest, if we had the money we would buy Longcarse too!!!! Still, this is our income as well as a home so we have that!!!!!!! :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS