Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just when I thought I had it! Another breeding Q?  (Read 2920 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Just when I thought I had it! Another breeding Q?
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:38:37 am »
Sorry  ::) :-[

I know that sow's can breed regularly but I'd only like to breed from my girls once a year ... Is that okay for pigs? Is the rest good for them or is it healthier for them to have subsequent litters?

I will obvioulsy do whatever's best for them but would prefer to only have one litter from each per year! :)

HappyHippy

Re: Just when I thought I had it! Another breeding Q?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:56:13 am »
I tend to go for 2 litters a year, but it's personal choice really (and because my wee 'husband and wife' team like to be together, the piglets are inevitable :love:)
Some say it can affect the fertility and number of piglets born, if you breed less ferquently (I guess in mainly applies in high output commercial set-up's) but I've not looked into it too much tbh, sorry :-\
Unless someone can come along and say without doubt that it won't work (AND have the proof ;)) I'd say try it and see how it goes for you.
HTH
Karen x

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:03:05 am »
We only breed one litter from each sow each year and sometimes its been longer and we've never had a problem with fertility.  As HH says, some people say that they will cease to cycle if you leave them, but in our experience.....absolutely no problem whatsoever with our Old Spots, Berkshire or Middle White  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:37:32 am »
i try to have 1 litter per sow each 9 months.  Nearly managed it with Hilary but have noticed she is getting rounder.  A very well known breeder of pigs here in France only has 1 litter each sow per year and has regular litters of double figures. 

Really I think its whatever suits you.  We even had a 3 year old plus sow who had run with two different boars and never become pregnant, who got in with George for just one night and produced 10. 

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:27 am »
One of my sows always goes straight back in with the boar, she's very grumpy if she isn't in pig or looking after her litter.  I've found that if I don't put her straight in with the boar she escapes and gets in with him anyway!! 
:love: :pig: :love:

With the others I like to give them a season or more off before getting back in pig again.....so they average 3 litters every 2 years.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:57:03 pm »
One of my sows always goes straight back in with the boar, she's very grumpy if she isn't in pig or looking after her litter.  I've found that if I don't put her straight in with the boar she escapes and gets in with him anyway!! 

You must have Hilary's cloned sister

blonde

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:20:59 am »
:love: :pig: :love:

With the others I like to give them a season or more off before getting back in pig again.....so they average 3 litters every 2 years.

That is a huge cost when feed is so high.  5 litters every two years is a far better econimic option.  Sows should come out in resaonable order to start again.  If they were in the wild and they were on heat the boars would mate them not wait a season and then mate

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:21:07 am »
Blonde
Sometimes its not all about economics and some sows just need a few weeks out to recover their body condition and strength to carry another litter, for me its all about quality of life and a couple of extra bags of pig nuts is a small fee to pay for it!
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS