Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butchery Services Offered  (Read 11165 times)

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
Re: Butchery Services Offered
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 05:46:46 pm »
God I need A bigger van ;D   ;D ;D
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

waterhouse

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 12:04:39 am »
Does anyone point me at the regulations for the butchery and sale of meat IN ENGLAND.  The FSA website is written in a cuddly style until you want actual information then it's either crassly generalistic or simply dumps you into the text of the statutory instruments.  Ah yes, sometimes it suggests phoning the local authority instead. 

DEFRA rules on animal welfare say "It's not acceptable to lift or drag sheep by the fleece, tail, ears, horns or legs".  Presumably a pointy stick is fine!  DEFRA has been busy cutting costs by rebuilding its website so that you can't find anything now.  The above quote appears in the Businesslink.gov.uk website which would not on the face of it have much to do with DEFRA except that their phone number is quoted.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 06:58:22 am »
HO HUM HERE WE GO AGAIN                    
just to add to my last post, If your animals are slaughtered in the Abattoir, I am fairly certain you can have them butchered on yr smallholding and you can sell the butchered meat to the public.
that was the part that i refereed to the false hope  not your idea of assisting others with butchering/cutting if you are quite happy carting round your stainless work tables/bowls/mincer/sausage stuffer/chopping block and knifes just how and if you could fit them all in a kitchen especially if you are cutting cattle as well beats me(in all my 57 years i have only seen one kitchen that could accommodate all this equipment) if you are happy cutting meat in obviously low hygiene surroundings just you get wired in and ignore other comments on this forum

HO HUM indeed.
We only raised 2 pigs last year. We would have been quite within our rights to collect the carcasses and butcher them ourselves. We didn't because we didn't have the skills. We are still within our rights to invite a skilled person to help us to butcher them, if they bring their own tools all the better for us. Otherwise, well,  who's to stop us using the bandsaw we use on trees?
Incidentally has anyone watched Hugh wotsits Pig in a Day DVD?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 08:38:26 am »
that was the part that i refereed to the false hope  not your idea of assisting others with butchering/cutting

Maybe you should have been clearer?

if you are quite happy carting round your stainless work tables/bowls/mincer/sausage stuffer/chopping block and knifes just how and if you could fit them all in a kitchen especially if you are cutting cattle as well beats me

Who knows, maybe some of us have stainless work tables and other bits of stuff?! And maybe we don't all want to sell our meat, just learn from someone else's expertise? And maybe we don't all have cattle and would be really happy with some help on something smaller? We had some excellent help from a butcher with our table chickens, which we home slaughtered and butchered.

if you are happy cutting meat in obviously low hygiene surroundings

Err, which surroundings are 'obviously' low hygiene?

just you get wired in and ignore other comments on this forum

Or Smiffy could ignore the negative, sniping, snide comments that come from some quarters, and concentrate on helping those people who don't want to butcher whole cows in their toilets in the dark and try to sell the output to Waitrose?

If you've got help to offer please try to offer it in a constructive manner.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:55:23 pm by Dan »

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 09:08:09 am »
I agree totally, whatever the subject, its a lot better to read constructive comments than nasty remarks, hear hear to Dan
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 09:26:49 am »
I think the point that Lillian's trying to make when refering to "low hygiene" is that a domestic kitchen couldn't ever be classed as a 'food safe' area in the eyes of environmental health (see Egglady's thread on small businesses) and therefore you couldn't sell the meat butchered there to the general public - rules, regulations and red tape ahoy  ::)
If you're butchering for your own consumption there's no problem doing it in your own kitchen - other than possibly a lack of space, pigs seem much bigger when they're split and laying on a worktop :o ;)
I think Smiffy has a good idea and a lot of knowledge and tricks of the trade that I think should be passed on to others - how long before the supermarkets take over the country and all the local butchers have to give up and the skill is lost (other than in mass production processing plants)  ???
But I'll shut up and get back in my box now, don't want to start a riot  ;)
Happy Hippy says "peace & love man, PEACE & LOVE !" ;D ;D ;D We're all on the same side really :-*

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 01:55:22 pm »
*Totally OT*

I like your avatar, Happy Hippy :)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 02:02:48 pm »
Smiffy, I think you could be onto offering a really popular service there! We are way down in Cornwall but when we started keeping livestock we went on a short butchery course and can now (I say) pretty competantly deal with pigs, sheep, deer and other small game.

If somebody with a van like yours was availble in our area I would have much rather hired someone in to show us in our own home (you might even be able to sell a few knives or other equipment whilst you're there!).

No false hope taken at this end, I think it's a wonderful idea!  ;D :pig: :sheep:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 02:04:41 pm »
 i wish you all the very best and hope your ideas come alive and the business works for you  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »
*Totally OT*

I like your avatar, Happy Hippy :)
Why, thank you Mo  :-*
It's nice isn't it ? My new 'logo' for Yonderton Rare Breed Pigs  ;) ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 06:11:32 pm »
God, I love him when he's riled  :-*

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 12:21:39 am »
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:18:34 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 06:52:00 pm »
Well thanks for all the positive feeback, ;D  (I'm Still needing work)
Lots of people from Scotland and down south who are needing a butcher, so I might have to do a road trip with my services. :P Its a shame theres not many  North Yorkshire smallholders replying. :wave:
All the best to you all
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS