Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butchery Services Offered  (Read 11169 times)

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
Butchery Services Offered
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:57:49 pm »
I recently closed down my butcher business (near Whitby North Yorkshire)
  I am offering my 27 years experience to help out any people in my area (45 mile radius) to assist, advise or butcher their animals on their smallholding. I will come out to you and butcher your cattle sheep or pigs. I have all the equipment. so if you need a hand I hope I can be of service.
Please Email me for more details and prices.
paulsmith0407@aol.com
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Re: Butchery Services Offered
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:54:03 pm »
I wish you were in kent....can they still sell there meat to the public if you butcher on there land?

Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:30:40 pm »
The last time I checked the rules ,(this is for on farm slaughter) you are supposed to eat the meat yourself and not sell it on to the public.

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:20:12 am »
just to add to my last post, If your animals are slaughtered in the Abattoir, I am fairly certain you can have them butchered on yr smallholding and you can sell the butchered meat to the public.

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:28:49 am »
i am not 100% sre that is the case i always thought the animal had to be killed and cut on site ie a slaughterhouse/cutting plant, thats what we were told when looking into other butchers cutting for us.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:30 am »
27yrs experiance and you are giving false hope on this public forum
first the carcase has to transported in refrigerated van/container
second the carcase has to be butchered on licenced premises
that is the rules in scotland  to enable you to sell to the public

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 11:57:01 am »
You can use an abattoir to kill only and then have the carcass transported back to your smallholding.  Then you can butcher yourself, or get someone to help you, but as I understand it you cannot then sell the meat onto other people.  It has to be for your own use.

You can use an abattoir and then have carcass transported to a licensed butchers who can cut and pack your produce for you to sell.  Or you can use the cutting room at your abattoir.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

waterhouse

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:44:53 pm »
I've  been wading through the regulations - OH is going to a EBLEX evening on meat boxes soon - and it's all rather complicated.  The FSA website has been written in a friendly style which completely fails to explain the total horridnous of the underlying EU and Westminster legislation.  But there seems to be an exemption in 852/2004 (don't) which goes

the direct supply, by the producer, of small quantities of primary products to the final consumer or to local retail establishments directly supplying the final consumer;

Meat you produce yourself is a primary product.  I haven't got to the bottom of butchery services however

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 06:02:36 pm »
it is meat and hygiene regulations               with that business having full insurance cover in case they sell contaminated meat and meat products

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 01:06:41 pm »

its a mine field of rules and regulations. I am sorry for any confusion. All I was offering was to help any body on their smallholding who was wanting a hand to butcher their meat, and I'm sorry if you think I was giving false hope.

I wish you all the best with your smallholding ventures. 

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:35:35 am »
Personally, I don't think you have given false hope. I read it as you were offering to help someone who wanted to butcher their own pig for their own use, and that certainly interested us, although you are a little far away.
I'm sure that there are people out there who would welcome this offer, surely not everyone is driven simply by wanting to sell on their meat?

Just as an aside, there's little point quoting Scottish Law to a guy in Whitby  :-\

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 10:30:29 am »
Personally, I don't think you have given false hope. I read it as you were offering to help someone who wanted to butcher their own pig for their own use

Agreed  :hshoe:

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »
many thanks Mo and Joe...... its being chewing me all day thinking I have given people some kind of false hope., I feel better now knowing that at lease 2 people see what I was trying to say, hope you get your meat butchered.
and enjoy it,  :wave:

how far away are you ?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 05:17:10 pm »
<<Just as an aside, there's little point quoting Scottish Law to a guy in Whitby>>
Too true  ::)

Just wanted to say that before we started selling our hogget meat to the general public, we had an ex butcher who chopped our carcasses in our kitchen. We transported them from the abattoir ourselves, but nowadays that wouldn't be possible.  It was a great way to learn so much about our sheep and to improve our husbandry, by looking at the finished product.  One unexpected thing we learned was never to haul sheep around by their wool - our butcher showed us the big bruise on one carcass where that had happened - we have never done that again !!  So I think that what Paul is offering is an extremely valuable service, much more than just the basic butchering, although that will be a big help to someone.  I so wish you were not so far away Paul, as we don't sell to the public any more and our previous butcher friend is no longer doing that.  Good luck with your new venture.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 05:35:29 pm »
HO HUM HERE WE GO AGAIN                    
just to add to my last post, If your animals are slaughtered in the Abattoir, I am fairly certain you can have them butchered on yr smallholding and you can sell the butchered meat to the public.
that was the part that i refereed to the false hope  not your idea of assisting others with butchering/cutting if you are quite happy carting round your stainless work tables/bowls/mincer/sausage stuffer/chopping block and knifes just how and if you could fit them all in a kitchen especially if you are cutting cattle as well beats me(in all my 57 years i have only seen one kitchen that could accommodate all this equipment) if you are happy cutting meat in obviously low hygiene surroundings just you get wired in and ignore other comments on this forum

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS