Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Share a field  (Read 4387 times)

Shawn

• Joined Feb 2011
Share a field
« on: February 10, 2011, 05:07:24 pm »
Has anybody experienced any problems with Horses, sharing a paddock with Sheep and Goats ?

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: Share a field
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 05:19:04 pm »
heard a few horror stories a few  good aswell

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't keep horses and goats together as the goats have a tendency to jump all over the horses when they are recumbent. With sheep, it depends on whether they get on, but some horses do harrass sheep and have been known to injure them.

Problems would certainly arise at feeding times, and it would be impossible to have any control over who ate what. You'd also have to be careful with any mineral/feed blocks as some substances are unsafe for certain livestock...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:18:09 pm »
I used to keep my sheep in the same field as horses, including my own. I sectioned off a small area in the corner with one strand of elec tric tape that the sheep could get under. This was where I fed them and where they tended to lay up if the horses were messing about. I never put pregnant ewes or ewes and lambs out with the horses but the young adult sheep did fine.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:24:04 pm »
same views as rosemary.  certainly grazing sheep with horses is very good for parasite control apparently

Shawn

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 08:54:14 pm »
thanks for the feedback the horses are stabled at night so feeding would only happen when they are separated. Good idea about the quarantine area Rosemary as is the parasite control egglady all food for thought.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:47 pm »
My lambs last year used to go under the gate and in with my horse who I had been told did like sheep and they got on like a house on fire and now sometimes share a field but as said there is an electric fence that the sheep can pop under out of the way when he is running of steam and being naughty. The sheep keep the grass at a nice length all over where the horse leaves so I don't have to top out at all

Shawn

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:20:20 pm »
OK just need to think a little more about the goat issues didn't really want to separate them as we do not really want lots of unsightly fencing all over the place but if needs must then that is what we will do.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:57:51 pm »
My ponies get on ok with the sheep and goats.  Although, I would be cautious about in lamb or in kid goats in with the horses - we did have a filly who suddenly went for a pregnant ewe. Fortunately we were there and stopped her.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:16:54 am »
I used to have a local farmer's tups in with my ponies from March to October each year - one or two of the youngsters would try and chase them at first but they all settled down.  I wouldn't have lambs in with ponies but adult sheep are fab cross grazers which is why I keep thinking about getting a few to keep the grass tidy :) or did til I ended up so short of grazing for what I already have ::)

I'd not put goats in, personally, but I don't have experience of it so can't advise.

Just watch for mineral blocks in the field as some have copper and aren't suitable for sheep so they'd have to be tied high up where sheep can't reach..

Like the idea of a sheep rest/feed pen they can go to for a break from sharing ;D

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS