Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 8733 times)

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
Re: Insurance
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:30 pm »
I had all mine insured for vets bills, until recently when the number went up to 4. Now I put what I would have spent on the insurance into a savings account each month. For me this will be better, as I'm not interested in loss of use claims. I think it will differ depending the value/use of your equine, but that's what will work for me in my circumstances. I have Gold BHS membership.
Lynn :)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:28 am »
I don't insure anything over 18 now, but all youngsters & showjumper are insured.
2yr colt cost a fortune last year to castrate - £2,500.  It should have been a straightforward castrate - not normally covered by insurance - but it turned into a situation to save his life. One testicle had got caught high up and tangled into bowels as he had grown.  Insurance company agreed to pay in this highly unusual situation.
PTS would have been the only other option.
Insurance co couldn't have been more helpful at the time - my vet & their adviser discussing situation whilst colt on operating table !!

This is just the sort of unexpected situation that can occur with animals and you have to make your own decisions. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:01:46 am »
Across dogs, cats and pony, we pay about £100 a month in insurance. I wonder if it woudl be worth self-insuring. But then Tess has two ops costing a total of £5k...

Too hard - easier just to go on paying the premiums.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 06:33:52 pm »
i used to insure all mine horses and dogs now none are insured, insurance companies are a nightmare, esp with horses most do the one limb one claim then you cant claim on that limb or condition again you have got to be so careful, once my big mare is out on the road again i will take out the bhs liability ins but nothing else, i will take my chances

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
We insured our collie when she was a pup along with our older dog, lucky we did cos while out for a walk when she was older she sliced herself on a street name sign! It was out of hours and she needed emergency surgery, the insurance paid nearly £800 out, however over the next 4 years we never claimed at all so we decided to cancel and put the money in a savings account in case we ever needed it.
As for the horses we have 2 insured but not the shetland.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS