Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese and Children.... a good combo?  (Read 4028 times)

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
Geese and Children.... a good combo?
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:33:50 am »
Hi,

We recently had our Ckicken house stolen believe it or not, they even let the chickens out before taking their lovely home!

Question I have is someone has told us that Geese make a good deterent / guard dog and would have put the burglarys off. But I have also been told they are agressive, nip and I am worried how will they be with our 9 chickens, dog, pigs and 4 yr old boy??

Any advice would be welcome since we dont want to upset the balance?

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: Geese and Children.... a good combo?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:02:29 am »
my dads old goose many years ago put a 7 yr old boy in hospital with a broken arm ;D if i had room id have one or few as i know my £ yr old girl can and would smack it with a stick to get rid of it and she has done it she cryed after as thougth she hurt it i said no you didnt we will just eat it now lol

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:30:57 am »
From my personal experience geese dont bother anything else till they are breeding and then they get protective of the nest site and surrounding area.
Sorry about your chook hut, some folk will steal anything. Paint your next one with a bright painted roof.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 02:37:30 pm »
breeding season our male gets a little protective. when they are brooding don't go near them. ours will peck you if you get in his bill. but thats his job. they can leave a nasty peck though. don't work near them bear legged it will hurt more. young children will soon learn to give them room. the worst goose attack was with a hundred or so canadian geese trying to mug the kids of bread at stanley park at blackpool. you should have seen us move.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »
Geese are solar powered so not very good at guarding at night time. Ours were vicious when breeding and with old age - definitely scared delivery men and chased our kids. And they make a right mess of the garden. I'd rather invest in CCTV and alarms!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 07:56:20 pm »
As a youngster I had to check on my aunts geese during the day (water etc), and boy there were times I was legging it... Geese are noisy and protective, and in my opinion not adivsable to have them free-ranging if children are about  - Especially if other children come to visit. Might also make you very unpopular with the postie..

But they are very noisy, so good guard dog during the day. You will need a few though.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:34:36 pm »
I taught my niece who is 9 to walk in there like you are in charge! She did this and they were fine with her, but mine have never been agressive, mind you they have not had any goslings yet either!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 07:35:15 pm »
We had a gander who used to terrorise everything and anything, especially the postman's van  :o My dad (who's not a small man) used to basically 'goose step' his way through their paddock while wearing thigh high waders so he couldn't take a chunk of leg ! He was wild (the gander that is, not my dad ;D) They ARE the best guard dogs ever, the slightest noise and they're on alert - but you should most definately be careful with your son if you're considering getting a gander. The girlies are generally a bit more placid, but every bit as noisy ;)
HTH
Karen x

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:50:49 pm »
Geese are great and no hassle for most of the year. Our have started to become agressive in the last week. I expect it to get worse whilst they are laying but they finish by May - However if managed well this is not a problem - same goes for the goose s**t. You need to plan where your keep them and where you keep your children especially during this period. As far as adults - you just need to show them whose boss and a kick up the arse every now and again when they get a bit too cocky seems to work w;ith mine. The rest of the year my 9 yr old daugheter rounds them up .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS