Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fellow ACF's  (Read 5636 times)

robertm

• Joined Feb 2011
Fellow ACF's
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:31:15 pm »
First post, so here goes.
Partner and myself have bought a 5 acre small holding just south of York in North Yorkshire.
Property undergoing renovation at the moment but hope to move in sometime near Easter (11), only a few months away now thank goodness.
Currently run a very small IT support and web business but actual business is rubbish at the moment, and there is very little money in it either. Thinking of winding it up and having a much simpler life.
If the truth was told, I am fed up with lazy, useless, good for nothing, whinging end users, commonly known as numpties! They never appreciate the complexities of IT and what you do for them so I would just like to give them all the heave-ho and get back to basics.
As I told my accountant recently IT has become too over complex, too fast moving, and nobody has got time to learn anything properly anymore.
Its all moving very rapidly downhill to end with a technological crisis and electomagnetic bomb pulse, so just dont get stuck in the lift when the pulse goes off !!
I am not a harbinger of doom but IT has really just racked me off bad.
My partner is a farmers daughter but has been a city girl for last 20 years so no recent back to the land experience, any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Robert

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Fellow ACF's
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:35:03 pm »
hello and welcome  :wave:
Little Blue

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave: best advice i can give is chill out, relax and enjoy your small holding and what every season of weather has to offer you, its an amazing life

robertm

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:06:03 pm »
Wow, thanks for replying so quickly.
I am sure once we get moved in with a proper roof over our heads, instead of sky as the barn has currently, we will be back in touch full of ideas and enthusiasm for the life to come :)
Robert

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:11:27 pm »
wish you all the very best, the folk on here are lovely and the forum is full of interesting information are you planning any animals?  :wave:

robertm

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:22:55 pm »
Partners father was a pig farmer, so she adores them, along with border collies.
Not so sure myself, but will have to see. I would quite like goats, but partner says they smell bad!
How she reconciles that with pigs I dont know ;D
As you can tell one was an original country person, now going back to the land, the other, never a country boy, but wanting to and also make it work!!
Robert

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »
enjoy your adventure, me and my OH are a bit like that, im the country person he is what they call a townie! but he loves our way of life now, he can do anything with our horses loves and hens and ducks and enjoys doing all the outside jobs, we are living the dream. keep us posted with how you get on  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 05:40:06 pm »
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 06:17:27 pm »
Hi Robert,

Glad you've joined this happy band. Planning a veg patch or raised bed or 2?  If so, what are you planning to grow/like to eat? Got any seeds yet. I have a few packets of seeds going begging if you like - they're freebies from a garden mag/duplicate gift at Christmas? Most notably broccoli (green not purple sprouting), chard 'Bright Lights' (funky assorted colours), and a selection of growbag favourites which may be of use if you've not got the veggie area(s) sorted, oh, and some kale.

If they're no good for you and any one else is interested..................?

:farmer:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 06:59:47 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders  :wave:
Anne

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 09:58:23 pm »
Hi and welcome from Sue in windy Worcestershire   :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:25 am »
Hi welcome from Brittany, where I dont think I have seen a lift for public use, so no problems there.  PIGS do not smell if kept properly.  They are extremely clean.  OK a male might have a slight wiff when in close range to a female in season, but have you smelt a male goat recently?

Best advice read everything on here then sit down with a paper and pencil and make a plan based on the information gleaned.  You coudnt have come to a better, friendlier or more helpful site.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 04:56:57 pm »
You sound just like me when I decided to give up work and move to the country. :D  I was seriously stressed and clients drove me nuts.....even though the job itself was fine (property conveyancer - loved dealing with the older properties with masses of old deeds and maps...great fun!)  I'm sure you won't regret it if you decide to opt for a simpler life.  Cheers.  :wave:

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »
Welcome from West Sussex,  Good luck and chin up and all the usual platitudes, as someone said to me once " Smile it could be worse", so I smiled and lo and behold it did get worse. Enjoy your life

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »
How do Robert and well done on taking those first stept towards a better life. I would love to do the same but would probably have to keep working too. There's a small farm across the road from me with around 5 acre but I like where i live and have a decent size garden that I am starting to get loaded with veg but just not big enough for pigs  :(. I've tried the farmer behind me but he wants too much for land so looking for a patch somewhere close by to rent.

Good luck!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS