Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cockerel/hen ratio??  (Read 4812 times)

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
cockerel/hen ratio??
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:30:26 pm »
I have about 25 hens and until recently had 2 cockerels, the cockerels came together I think they were brothers,one very bolshy the other a nice quiet lad,alas I think Charlie fox helped himself to the quiet one as he has just disappeared :'( I am getting another 20 ladies just wondering if my cockerel can cope ;) If I do get another I dont want to have a cock fight going on,any help very welcome, thanks

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Re: cockerel/hen ratio??
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:40:38 pm »
I think it depends if you want fertile eggs for hatching from.
Also what breed are they?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:34:05 pm »
I think it depends if you want fertile eggs for hatching from.
Also what breed are they?
Well unless you want fertile eggs you don't need a cockerel at all ???

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:48 pm »
They're mostly all ex batts,ex "freerange",no not fussy about hatching from them just didn't want my cockerel to be run ragged,so i take it that he wont feel the need to "see to"  ;)all of them and give himself a heart attack in the process :P

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:23:31 pm »
perfect ratio is zero cocks to many hens!

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:23:19 am »
 i think it depends on the breed, my ex-commercial hens beat crap out my OEPF cockeral but other breeds or individuals can stick up for themselves.

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:06 am »
i have 11 hens and 3 cockerels residing peacefully so far.

the 2 young ones live with the geese at night, but they all freerange together during the day. the hens will not tolerate the young boys, and chase them away, but there has been no serious fighting. if that changes then i will get rid of them, but i must admit to being too soft to dispatch them just for the sake of it if they can all live peacefully.

unless anyone wants one............
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:33:11 am »
I have 1 Buff O cockerel with 11 ladies, and I've only seen him actually tread 1 of them once! And I've had him since Oct!
He does like to chase them but only in the morning when he's feeling amorous. Not sure if he will feel the need to sort them all out when springtime comes along. Or indeed if he'll manage, or if he'll die trying. ;)

I think with as many as 50 hens you probably have the option to get another cockerel or 2 and there should be enough ladies to keep everyone happy. But if personalities clash I suppose the boys will fight no matter how many ladies they have ???

Well unless you want fertile eggs you don't need a cockerel at all
Well it's not always about 'need' though, Hughesy :D  And some people like to have a cockerel to keep the women in order! :o

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:41 am »
I think if you wanted to breed poultry and wanted reliably fertile eggs, you'd need a ratio of about 1:5 - but there are breeders on here who will confirm.

We've had a cockerel for years (not the same one obviously) and at times more than one. I've found an old established cockerel will tolerate young ones and keep them in a batchelor group but introducing a mature one is a recipe for trouble. We also had an old one and a young one doing fine until the old one hurt his leg then all hell broke loose as the young one saw his chance and there was a huge fight and I had to rehome the young one.

I like the sight and sound of the cockerel - and he keeps the girls in line.

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:19 am »
Thanks for replies ;)I think I'll just see how it goes,with the one boy for now then,He's a great character,and looks after the "ladies"even if he can be a bit bolshy with people!! I just pick him up and carry him under my arm for a bit when he has a go at me,it puts him in his place for a while ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS