Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rats!  (Read 9063 times)

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
Rats!
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:59:17 pm »
 >:( Grrrr the little  :censored:

Went into the Chook shed to find a flippin great hole in the corner.... thing is they aren't going to find food as i feed the girls in the day and see them gobble it all up!

I have covered it in a very thick mesh wire and blocked off the hole to prevent more damage, they has burrowed some very neat tunnels under some bags and seem to be living under my daughters wendy house (its huge.. was here when we moved) so im not sure what the best way is to get rid of them?

We had mice in the house before Christmas but unfortunatly they had to be dealt with (peanut butter and a trap worked very well) but I don't think it would do so well with the bigguns?

Any ideas? I have young children too so want to avoid poisen.

robert waddell

Re: Rats!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:31:07 pm »
a ferret or move the wendy house everybody wants hens but the down side is they attract rats

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:05:51 pm »
get a JRT and a air gun where are you im sure someone would help you shoot it if close enough

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:55 pm »
Yes a little furry ferret will do the job

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:30:05 pm »
If the hole is in the corner of a concrete floor, put more concrete into the hole to seal it.

Where the Wendy House is, it will need to be put up on some sort of platform to lift it.

Glad you are not using poison, and please be careful with traps as it's not only rats that will get caught up in them.

And rats love a tasty freshly laid egg, I knew someone who had had enough and just left the eggs 'et al' lying about in the barn. I watched the rats from his house one afternoon, helping themselves to whatever egg or grain of food they could find. The mess in that barn after a couple of weeks of being abandoned.....

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »
try a live trap. the mum in law has just been told that she has rats in her loft. she is not a very happy lady.

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:45:30 pm »
Well the Wendy house is about 10ft high (has stairs  ::)) and is set on top of concrete slabs, there is noway on this earth i will move the damn thing.

We are planning to move around May time anyway and as it was here when we came, I don't want to move it (permenantly) as it may fall apart  :-\  :D

Ferret? now that sounds like a good idea except the back of the wendy house backs onto a stream, the wendy house itself has no fencing behind it (it has fencing on either side) and would worry about the ferret escaping?  :o I have never had ferrets! so have no idea!

The hole is in the corner of the shed, but the shed is about 3 inches off the ground (concrete underneath).

I was aware that the hens would attract rats... but I was kinda wishing and hoping they would skip our hens  ;) :D

I am interested in traps, we don't tend to get much in the garden apart from the odd cat but not usually down the bottom where the hens are... hmmm unsure!

I want to try and sort this asap though as they breed!!!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:55:13 pm by littlechick »

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:53:49 pm »
get a JRT and a air gun where are you im sure someone would help you shoot it if close enough

We have an air gun actually  ;)

JRT? they are?  :D  :dunce:

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:55:09 pm »
for ever one you see there is ten more they nest in the side of the stream and use it as a motorway and are very intelligent a good adversary broken glass in the hole under the concrete they also send out the young first before the breeding stock feed

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:58:46 pm »
for ever one you see there is ten more they nest in the side of the stream and use it as a motorway and are very intelligent a good adversary broken glass in the hole under the concrete they also send out the young first before the breeding stock feed

Broken glass i can do  ;)

I think I will have a battle on my hands

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 12:53:22 am »
Do you know anyone with working terriers?  Our two would probably dig out the whole lot for you - they are like little machines and don't stop until they have every one.  As Lillian says, there will be lots more than the one you saw.  I don't like the idea of broken glass as it will injure other animals and people who come into contact with it.  I'm not sure how you go about finding people with terriers - perhaps there is a club in your area?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:56 am »
I am not surehow I go about looking into borrowing a working terrior.
It seems they tried another angle of the shed but failed  ;) due to this mesh wire I wrapped around the side of the shed.

I will have a look to see if I can find anyone local as it would be far better than using glass (which I don't really want to use) I just hope I can get rid quickly!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:53:22 am »
ferrets/polecats and chucks really don't mix.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59:57 am »
I have been baiting in plastic bait boxes for about 3 weeks now. I have 3 types of poison, mix it with melted fat, peanuts and raisens and mould it between two desert spoons into a small cake. They have been taking these nightly for 3 weeks - why are they not dead?
Yeasterday I set some traps, traps have gone off but no rats. Obviously they are under cover so the chickens can't reach them.

I'm at a loose end as to how best deal with them. We have 3 cats which love to catch rats but they can'ty get into the large chicken run as the perimeter has an electric wire to keep the foxes out!

I really don't want to have to sit around all night with the shotgun as I think this would be a waste of tim as is unlikely to get them all. Any ideas?

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:34 am »
Just covered this on Downsizer.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS