Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing new hens  (Read 3268 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Introducing new hens
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:16:08 pm »
Hi,  we have had 4 hens (Warrens) since last May, we tried to introduce 4 new ones at the weekend, was warned by the supplier that they may fight  but took there advice and put them in the coop at night with the others, loads of noise but seemed to settle until the next day when we let them out then all hell seemed to let loose and ended up separating the newbies into a new run. Question is will they ever get on with each other? is so when should we try to put them together again, they are in view and sound of each other.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks ??? :chook:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: Introducing new hens
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:10:22 am »
alot of people say put in at night etc i personally dont have in the last two weeks just put 7 in total  in the pen when i got them in daylight bit of fighting but after few hrs they sort out pecking order i do watch them as 3 are big hemp and rest are bantams so can be squashed easily but i just let be unless blood is flying or pinned down for more than a minute or two try starving them both for a few hrs then add at feed time as they will be too busy eating to fight

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:43:38 pm »
i put any new ones in at night, then just let them all out together in the morning, they have all the back garden to roam about in so there is plenty of room for them to go about on there own until they fully fit into the flock.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:46:12 pm »
My chickens free range:

New birds are put into the ark for a couple of days near to the 'henhouse'. That way the other birds see them, investigate then get bored. I let them out usually on the second or third day to range like the others. If they need to escape they have plenty of room to do a runner, and then at night they wander back into their ark for a couple of nights by which time they have integrated and just follow the other chooks back into the main house.

That has always worked for me.

:chook:

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 05:55:07 pm »
Thanks for your replies, going to move them a bit closer and give it a try, got to get them out of my shed before the poo sets hard!!

Thanks again

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:16:24 pm »
might be a bit late, but give all the birds(new and old) a small squirt of a perfume/deoderant making them all smell the same before putting thew new birds into the hut during the night

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:13:46 pm »
if there is one particular 'bully bird' you can separate her into the run where all can still see each other but when you reintroduce her the pecking order will re-establish.
keep lots of purple spray on hand to cover up any bleeding and like matt said go with the introduce when all hungry and they will be happy to eat!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 04:59:09 pm »
Hi,

do the same as Ohlala. Keep the new birds in an introduction pen and let the established flock meet them. sometimes they sort the pecking order out through the bars. Once they are all allowed to range together I make sure that I have a few water and food stations available until they all get on together.

Buffy

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 06:06:57 pm »
I am getting 10 pullets tomorrow - but will be keeping them in a different house all the time as the original one isn't big enough.  Will they range with the others and choose their house in the evenings or will everyone get muddled up?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 04:14:06 pm »
Ha ha ;D,

good question. Well if they are allowed to mix up they will do. The dominant ones will pick the best coop/ perch / nest box and may decide that the lower ranking ones need to go find alternative accomodation. If there is no alternative then the lower ranking birds just wait till the bosses have settled for the night and then slip inside. If there is an alternative coop you may end up with an A team and a B team. Though some will be creatures of habit and aim to stay in the coop they get used to \ feel safe in and some will follow the heard and go where their mates/leaders go.

My birds have a very relaxed pecking order as my head girl and my cockerel really dont mind what anyone does as long as everyone gets along. I have split some of them up recently into a breeding pen and a layers pen through the week and then I let them all free range together at the weekends. Once they have got used to the arrangements they are pretty good at going to the right pens after ranging at the weekend but the more days that they free range together the more they swap around.

Buffy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS