Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sad news  (Read 12201 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
sad news
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:12:14 pm »

Very sad to learn today that Friday, gorgeous girl, has an inoperable mass under her tongue.

she is 11, and had her as a kitten from rescue when I still lived at home with my parents. 
she acts like an old lady, since she was about 3 (!) and has always been a fussy eater.
 she has to have her teeth descaled quite regularly.. and this is when the vet found this lump.

she has Metacam & has to go back in a fortnight.
poor old girl ...
   :'(      :cat:     :-*     :cat: 
Little Blue

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: sad news
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:15:10 pm »
oh so sorry to hear your news, its very sad, i bet she is getting lots of tlc, thinking about you both  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:36:01 pm »
I know this seems a hard thing to say but don't let it go on too long.  My sister had a sprocker bitch with this condition and left it just a bit too long to give her peace.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:51:04 pm »
Sorry to hear about your pussycat. :bouquet:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:43:59 pm »
Annie, its okay, my mum, dad and I agree that if she isnt eating or seems in pain before the vet wants to see her, then they'll take her in.

thanks everyone
Little Blue

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »
sorry you're having a sad time with your cat and poorly hen.... hugs being sent over the hill
 :bouquet:
Mx

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:58:38 pm »
thanks Manian
never rains but it pours here... 
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 08:04:27 pm »
I'm so sorry too Ruth  :'(
We had a tom cat with terrible teeth/mouth problems (never seemed to affect his ability to catch and chew mice though ::)) as you've said as long as she's eating and seems well & happy she deserves that wee bit extra time for cuddles and getting spoilt  :love:
Thinking of you  :-*
Karen x

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »
Hard to see an animal ill, especial one of the family pets! :bouquet:

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 11:55:31 pm »

Sorry to read your sad news. I found myself in a similar situation last summer with a cat I'd had for nearly 23 yrs, from a kitten.

He too had a tumour under his tongue/throat. He lost a lot of weight quite quickly and clearly wasn't enjoying the same quality of life he was accustomed to.

I called the vet out and she put him to sleep in my arms. He's sleeping in a corner of the garden now.

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 07:31:24 pm »
So sorry, unfortunately some vets sometimes offer you all sorts of hopes when there really is none. It all works out very expensive and just prolongs a cherished pet's life toward a more uncomfortable end. I hope you have a peaceful time together and can reach the end with time for love and a special moment together. :love:
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:24 pm »
I am sorry, Ruth.  There is always something when you have animals, and usually involving costly vet visits at some stage.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 05:35:04 pm »
she's going back to the vets on Monday.
we bought her kitten biscuits today, as she eating a little but struggles with softer food. must be hard for her to swallow. 
mum has to wear gloves to give her the metacam - she still got plenty of fight in her!!
Little Blue

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 01:19:35 am »
What little time we have with our pets should be our best care and love! a safe warm home with food and thats about it, we get our needs from our animals and they get thier need met from us (hopefuly) so, do not feel guilty, I would love a cat!!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 10:02:52 am »
I'm sorry to hear this and am feeling upset for you.  I hope she doesn't suffer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS