Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi.  (Read 4624 times)

richardg

• Joined Dec 2008
Hi.
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:03:52 am »
Hi everyone.

I've just bought a pub with a huge field at the back of it.

Having done a little research, I am thinking that the best option at the moment would be for a number of chickens ( solely for eggs perhaps? ), and am wavering between a couple of pigs or a couple of chickens?

Having never done anything similar before (the animals, not the pub), I was hoping to pick a few brains. Am I mad? Am I taking on too much?

I will be doing all the cooking at the pub, and also sharing school runs etc with the wife ( we have six kids ) and have had three pubs before. Adding animals in to the mix should be a doddle shouldn't it???

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Hi.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 11:07:43 am »
Hiya from fws (central scotland)
If you havn't had any expereince with lifestock i would say go with the chicken frist and work your way up to the pigs. If in doubt you can pick chickens up (if you get them in a corner etc) Pig would be a little more difficult to pick up and move when fully grown lol
i have keep neither but had some expereince with chickens

Linz

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 05:28:19 pm »
It would be if it wasn't for the busy body beaurocrats who in their wisdom decided business can't use homegrown eggs for patrons unless you have the required status in the egg production system.

the same eggs but just been handled by a person with a certificate!!
Ian

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 05:44:37 pm »
6 kids! and i thought we had our hands full with 3, think i would go down the chicken/ goose route easy to look after low running costs, pigs will not be viable re feed cost and will require a lot of your time

richardg

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 06:07:15 pm »
And three of them under three (twins and a one year old)

Is the certificate easy to get?

Was hoping that I could feed pigs on food scraps from the kitchen and then top up?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »
No food scraps - no way. Not for hens or pigs. I'd go for hens for eggs and then maybe for meat. Easy to keep and you won't get better eggs, certificate or not.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 06:58:28 pm »
Welcome by the way. Where's your pub? I could do with a drink....

Just going to put the decorations up.

richardg

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 07:13:32 pm »
Sorry, I'm hoping you misunderstood. By food scraps I meant veg peelings etc from food production in the kitchen - not leftovers.

richardg

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 07:17:49 pm »
Don't actually take the pub till March, and there's many a slip twixt cup and lip as they say. When it's all signed and done I'll start inviting everyone for drinks!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 08:35:55 pm »
I don't know about any certification but I can thoroughly recommend ducks and chickens for eggs for your own use.   ;D  The kids would love looking after them and it might prevent them begging for other 'pets'. ;)  All you need is a hut with a perch or stand for them to sleep on at night, and a nesting box to lay their eggs inside it, some straw for bedding, a water container,a food container.  And kids old enough to feed, put in water, collect eggs, and help clean out the shed.  Oh and a fence to keep other animals out - dogs and foxes for instance.  :o Cats don't seem to bother with them.
Anne
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:44:47 pm »
I agree, neverknew about certification for eggs? I use mine in our B&B. I think pigs althpugh great are a bit more expensive to rear, they also make loads of mud and need a strong pen, my daughter had two and she loved them (maybe not loved) but she spent a lot on feed as they are like bringing up large humans who eat constantly. I would agree, chickens are very easy and very rewarding, my first time with them too and I wish I had them instead of all the other things like rabbits, gerbils, hamsters, etc family had, much much easier :chook:

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 09:18:24 am »
The 'certificate' is basically just registering as a producer and going through that process. If you just have a few hens and do 'farmgate sales' you can only sell to the person who will cook and eat them. So pubs and B&B's can't sell or give to patrons.

Or so I've been informed.

as with home slaughter only the person killing can eat the meat

and of course we all do what we are told

Ian

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 06:09:19 pm »
hi richard, check out (feeding pigs post) in pigs section covers catering waste............neil

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS