Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Somerset  (Read 5471 times)

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
Hello from Somerset
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:00:30 pm »
Hi there, We are from somerset and seem to almost have fallen into this. At this stage can I just say what an amazing site this is! We have 3 acres and are about to send our first 2 pigs to slaughter, We have our first 6 free range geese also going off in time for xmas and are planning on raising our own meat chickens and ducks early spring onwards. We have planted in excess of 60 various fruit bushes this summer and although I am by no means a gardener I plan on growing lots of veg next spring for our own use and to sell at the gate.
However  I am such a beginner in every aspect that the whole thing is quite terrifing!!! I have posted a question on the pigs paperwork and am basically muddling my way through!!! But I guess everyone has to start somewhere,

Julia  :)
juliag

CHICKEN GEORGE

• Joined May 2008
  • west yorkshire
Re: Hello from Somerset
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:36:30 pm »
Hello juliag and welcome,
If its any help the paper work is bearable when you get the results at the end

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:04:17 pm »
Hi and welcome to the TAS forums. It's all good, clean fun.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 08:46:57 pm »
Hi Ya!  Tis a cold a blustery night here in Normandy so hoping it is 100% better with you down in loverly zumerzet!  I come from Bradford-on-Avon originally so you are just a boarder away from Wiltshire, and making me feel a little homesick!! Welcome to TAS - you will just love here!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:54:07 pm »
Thankyou everyone, we are actually just the other side of frome, between Bruton and Frome so Kate we could almost have been neighbours, my kids went to school just the other side of Bradford on Avon, small world isnt it! what are you doing in normandy, have you found a much better way of life than here?
We have just registered with the new landshare inititive as landowners offering land to others, we have recently had a slightly dodgy experience with someone using our land though, has anybody had good experiences of doing this? :D
juliag

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:25:31 am »
Hello and welcome from me too

Carole

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:50:31 am »
Thankyou everyone, we are actually just the other side of frome, between Bruton and Frome so Kate we could almost have been neighbours, my kids went to school just the other side of Bradford on Avon, small world isnt it! what are you doing in normandy, have you found a much better way of life than here?
We have just registered with the new landshare inititive as landowners offering land to others, we have recently had a slightly dodgy experience with someone using our land though, has anybody had good experiences of doing this? :D

I have registered with that too, but I was a bit wary, and only went ahead because the piece of garden I'm offering has it's own gate, so whoever took it on wouldn't bother me or my own animals provided it's fenced off.  I haven't had any response as yet though.
Welcome to the forum - I'm in central Scotland near Rosemary & Dan (And a few others on here  ;D)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

home bird

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 12:03:34 pm »
Hi,
I live in somerset too, in between shepton and frome.
What a small world!!!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:03:33 pm »
A very small world indeed!! :)
juliag

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 09:30:53 pm »
Hello!!!

I'm in Somerset too.....just!

I live on the blackdown Hills south of Taunton.

Do you belong to the Somerset Smallholders Association?

If not join............very informative lot you know ;D ;D
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 03:14:40 pm »
No I am not a member yet but have looked at the website it does look good so probably in the new year............ :)
juliag

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS