Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sending to market  (Read 17926 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Sending to market
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 08:22:45 pm »
Good evening,since you are i presume you are not a mart regular the auction should have told you the deductions.Store - commision+v.a.t varies between marts . Prime- commision+v.a.t ,m.l.c. +v.a.t. , insurance and maybe £1 belly clip. Dont forget your movement document and fill in a food chain infomation declaration ( available at mart office )

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 08:52:11 pm »
Thanks again shep53 - I've done all the paperwork - done early so no last min. panic - they just don't mention £'s so much - at a £1'ish a belly clip I think we'll leave it to the experts - Your right this is my first time taking lambs to the mart - been to the rare breeds and purchased to the grand scale of 1 ewe. It's a bit learning curve but needing all the advise given - thank you
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:47 pm »
hope all goes well, look upon it as an education day look at and handle other peoples sheep so you can judge your sheep. change and wash clothes in case of scab or lice

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 11:01:53 pm »
And I though the complete over trousers/top look would be sufficient - will take a change of clothing too and although hard for me that's what I got to see it as 'an education' and I guess I'll never catch up but I'll try - thanks
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 03:36:01 pm »
ever tried using hampshire down, texel, beltex and suffolk rams, these are the type butchers are looking for in the lambs. they get meatier whilst growing on there dams. hence better price for your lambs at market. ;D

the jacobs, shetlands, hebridean, and other stickleg rams don't put meat on your lambs, hence don't get excited at market. ;)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:00:54 pm »
No I guess they don't excite the meat market and your right if I was doing it totally for the meat then I have the wrong sheep - but as I don't have space for more than 10/12, and I'm in it for something nice to look at - sorry I know I'm 'pretend' but I love the look of the Jacob's and yes sometimes males will go and not reach supper prices but they contribute to the feed cost of the ewe's and the goats - and they save me weekend upon weekend of mowing. Saying that I do take their health and welfare seriously and I hope they were the 'happiest' lambs going to market today.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 07:58:29 pm »
Hope you found today interesting

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 08:38:10 pm »
I was planning on taking my shetland / jacobs cross ram (5 months old) to market next week; I wonder what he'll fetch?

I don't have a working freezer at the mo' so the abbatior is probably not a sensible option  ::) .

mab

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 08:46:40 pm »
Today was interesting and actually for a complete softie not as bad as I thought - gave myself plenty of time, no stress loading up, nice steady drive and nice informative people when arrived - no making fun of me for being a newbie - not that I thought there would be but full of info and very helpful and respectful - will post details of result for anyone interested as sometimes it's not easy to find out these sorts of things - but auctioneer said they looked good - so at the end of the day I did my bit.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 10:30:00 pm »
oh Im glad it went as well as it could do, I hope you get a resonable payout.

I have Shetlands because they suit our rough exposed land, limited buildings and the fact theres just me doing the sheep most of the time and I can tip them up easily. I have thought about crossing eg with cheviot as the ewe lambs are popular for then putting to a continental sire but for the moment I am happy with the low input low output, and the meat is a-ma-zing compared with the commercial continental breeds.

Ayeskint

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Fife, Central Scotland
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 06:01:40 pm »
Hi there, I sent some ram lambs off early January and got £82.50 each for them.  This was the slaughter market at Caledonia Mart in Stirling.  Size really does matter there.  My boys were 50 kgs.  I try to lamb early so they get as long as they can to mature before going off.  I started off with shetlands but have cross bred and increased the size of my ewes and lambs.  My experience is that some people with smaller ewes (of more traditional breeds) use a bigger tup to get better sized lambs.  Others keep their lambs till they are older before doing anything with them which means feeding them over winter.  I think with sheep you have to find out what suits you and what your reasons are for keeping them.  I try to keep my ewe lambs but the boys need to pay for the hay and grazing rental - for me they have to pay their way.

Carol

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 06:26:09 pm »
I spoke too soon and rudely about the continental breeds :-OO
 when on the track leaning over to feed the non tupping 3 ewes day before yesterday, I was nudged from behind and turned round to find about 100 stray Texel type ewes  staring at me! One has jumped in with the 3 girls, thankfully the rest are eating my neighbour cattle farmers grass now....have been trying everyone but still havent found the owner of Griselda (as I have named the one in with mine) and her 99 friends.

If I dont find out tomorrow, I will have to wait till I can catch the flighty Griselda and then ring Animal Health with the tag details...

My 3 are looking very confused cos as Shetlands this one is about 3 times their size with a great big roman nose, great bruiser of a thing tho quite sweet.

waterhouse

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 06:36:04 pm »
You'd think the owner would notice...

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 06:57:48 pm »
For those who sold through Thainstone, you must be quite near me?  They certainly pay you quickly.  We sent our stores off in October, just 2 wetherers left, they are going direct to slaughterhouse then into our freezer!  Dont know of the cost yet, thats on the 'to do' list this week, could maybe let you know??

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 04:15:08 pm »
You'd think the owner would notice...

you would yes! esp as they are ewes and look in lamb, all very healthy tho and strapping lasses! have exhausted all the neighbouring/nearby farms so guess will have to go the official route. I guess I have finally found some point to all this sheep tagging.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS