Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sending to market  (Read 17851 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Sending to market
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:25:05 am »

I have just received my cheque from Stirling auctions for my 2 ram lambs, they sold at £36.50 each. They were unregistered Shetlands. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of sending any off just now.
Anne

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Sending to market
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:37:58 am »
I'm plucking up the courage for some lambs to go to market tomorrow - Inverurie - been 'plucking up' since the snow went and yes the money would be good to get to help towards the feed for the ewes and goats so I guess I've just got to get on and do it!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:49:18 am »
It's really useful to know what they are making as we will have some surplus lambs next year, also unreg shetlands and they would go to Inverurie (Thainstone) too.

Has anyone sold them via/to an abbatoir as well? (not sure how that works)

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:56:46 am »
Why not try selling them to the butcher save paying the market.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:13:32 pm »
We asked several local butcher and they said they were all sorted - and as I can't keep them all there's not much choice. The mart said they have to be there about 10.00 - 11.00 for a belly clip - is there anything I should be doing, apart from the paperwork?
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:17:24 pm »
No try and keep them dry the night before thats all.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »
Butchers are not interested in small Shetlands, I usually take them to abattoir and have them butchered to sell on myself but there was not enough meat on this pair. They were also causing problems at home in that they had to be kept with my horses and 1 of them was very agressive or I would have kept them until they put on a bit of weght.
Clare I don't think that there is anything else that you have to do but mine were taken along by a friend with his lot.
Anne

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 12:30:20 pm »
I can't really get them inside but they do have shelter is that ok. I've booked them in and not really looking forward to it, I knew the day would come but ....

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 12:47:18 pm »
Would i be right in thinking DAISYS MUM  sold in a store market since the hoggs were not fat and BRUCKLY is selling in a prime market.Belly clipping costs money at the mart ,if you shear your own sheep you can do it at home,often killing lambs are sold store as the deductions are less and no belly clipping.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 01:26:44 pm »
Thank you Shep53 - makes sense to me - yes they are for the prime market - do you know what sort of price they will knock off for doing this? Saying that it will probably cause the lambs less stress if someone who knows what they are doing does it - rather than me messing about in a muddy field!! It's good to know the facts before I get there - thank you

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 02:18:16 pm »
We had ours killed privately by the local abbatoir and butchered. We didn't belly clip. We sold half lambs and will do so again next year. I don't like the idea of selling them through the mart since you don't knwo how they will be treated there and afterwards, but that's just a personal preference.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 02:35:05 pm »
No I agree with you Rosemary - I would much rather do what you've done but we have no outlet for the meat friends and family are 100's miles away or abroad and OH doesn't like lamb!! but I love looking after them

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 04:19:00 pm »

That is what I do normally too Rosemary but this time it was just not possible, they were only 8 months old but one was terribly agressive and attacked anyone who went into the field, the final straw was when he got me right in the stomach, I have a 3 year old granddaughter and my daughter is 7 months pregnant so it was too great a risk to take keeping them until they were ready for the butcher.
Anne

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »
I have similar misgivings about marts but one thing in their favour is that by using them and keeping them viable the supermarkets can't do what they would dearly like and have all stock sold direct and no public open mart auction prices, just private deals between big farmers and big supermarkets.

So although I am concerned if I do ever send any, I also have a hat on where I want to keep them viable and running for all farmers sakes. Tricky one.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 08:18:40 pm »
I'm happy to sell breeding stock through the ring - is that hypocritical? Just seems different somehow.

I don't criticise anyone for doing it and I may have to at some point but at the moment, given our small numbers, I'm planning to stick notes in egg boxes come the summer and see if we can shift them that way.

And yes, I do note the point about "use it or lose it".

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS