Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep pregnancy scanning - small flocks  (Read 7343 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
sheep pregnancy scanning - small flocks
« on: November 22, 2008, 06:32:14 pm »
Had my four zwartbles girls scanned today - all expecting twins - hurrah !  (my first time !)  The chap is in South Ayrshire - brings a crate and battery operated scanner and sets it up on site.  Mine were done outside in a small pen on hardstanding at the gate (it was dry and calm though !)  If anyone wants his number post a reply and I'll e-mail it to you.  My vet had told me I was unlikely to get someone to do such a small number so was pleased to find him (he may also do some small flock shearing next year).

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: sheep pregnancy scanning - small flocks
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 09:59:47 am »
Can you PM me his number?

THanks

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:49:45 am »
I can see why if you have the possibility of multiple births it can b e sueful but does scanning have other uses?
Ouessants rarely have more than a single lamb  but can you get an expected delivery date? rough guide to development?  does this take breed experience? I'm not sure how useful it would be to get my ewes scanned but I would love to post the scan photo on my blog as an expectant mum   ;D ;D
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 04:11:50 pm »
I think it's meant to help you target feeding - if a ewe is empty, then you can decide whether to keep her through the winter or put her away rather than feed her for no lamb. Also singles will need different feeding from those expecting multiples.

Personally, I'd just like the photo!

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:01:26 pm »
I understand the scan can give you a guide to the expected lambing date as well as numbers. My three shearlings and a ewe were all tupped at their previous homes before coming to me.  In my case I had been given a note of when mine had been tupped (from raddle mark) so already had an expected date based on this.  Turns out one of them is 'a cycle' later than the other three which is good to know(wouldn't have known otherwise)  Presumably she missed first time round and was tupped again next time.  I have to say that even tho' I was watching the screen while it was done I couldn't make anything out at all !  (maybe all scans are a bit like that ?)  It was just good to know who was definitely in lamb - because mine were tupped early with a view to early lambs for showing next year, if one was 'empty' there was still time to arrange for another visit to a tup and still hopefully get a lamb albeit then a late one rather than an early one!!

Rosemary - should have said in last post - I'm fairly sure my scanner chap is only interested in Ayrshire/perhaps south Renfrewshire - would you still like me to pass on the number ?  (wasnt sure if you wanted it to hold on to in case you get queries from that area)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS