Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to make salad cream  (Read 16576 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
how to make salad cream
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:45:16 pm »
To do something more than useful with lots of eggs - I want to make Mayo and Salad Cream this year - we do eat lots of both  :yum: :yum:
any suggestions from your experience?  :&>

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: how to make salad cream
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »
I make an easy mayo. I put a liquidizer on the kenwood crack in 2 whole eggs, a teaspoon of mustard powder and put the lid on and start whizzing. I pour the oil through the hole in the top until the mayo is thick and creamy looking.
I add different things to it in the summer, garlic, chives etc.

I find if there is some left it will last about a week but never had any around to check much longer than that.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:55:06 pm »
how much oil do you put in?? will def give that a try  :wave:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:23:06 pm »
I honestly never measure it I just pour from the bottle until it is nice and thick. you can keep stopping and checking the thickness if it is still runny pop the whizzer on again and add some more. It makes much more sense when you do it. ;D

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:25:22 pm »
thanks will let you know how i get on  :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 02:32:39 pm »
would you just add more mustard and some vinegar to make salad cream? Sugar?  :&>

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:35:05 pm »
Hi there - I do it that way too, but I usually put in a couple of tablespoons of wine or cider vinegar with the eggs.  If I want an even thicker mayonnaise I put in 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg (the french just use yolks)

It easily lasts a week in the fridge in a covered container, and if a "skin" forms on the top just stir it well in before serving

If you add the oil too quickly, or if the eggs are too cold it may not thicken properly.  If this happens don't throw it away, simply start with a new egg, and gradually add the rejected mix

All the best
Sue

PS Garlick mayonnaise is lovely, as is horseradish and any herbed ones.  I often use mayonnaise to spread on the bread instead of butter for fishy things

PPS - You can tell when it is thickening nicely as the sound it makes in the liquidizer will change to a gluuuuply one
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 05:32:14 pm »
Must have a go again, I have made it in the past but that was in my cooking days, not into it much now !!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:42:15 pm »
on my third attempt i managed to get the mayonaise right, so we have homemade mayonaise, its really good, had tuna and mayo butties for lunch today,  :wave:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:44:17 pm »
well done there is nothing like fresh mayo, but don't make it when on medication like I did and put a tablespoon of mustard in believe me it wasn't nice lol

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 10:41:35 pm »
would hen or duck eggs work equally well?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »
kerstin, found this on t'internet:

To start you will need to hard boil some eggs, I normally do 6 or 8 depending on the size of the egg. Fresh salad cream will only last for about 3 days in the fridge, so it’s pointless making a huge batch. Boil the eggs for about 10 minutes then place in ice cold water to cool. Once cooled remove the shells and slice in half, place the yolks in a bowl and wrap the whites in cling film and place in the fridge, you can do something else with them, but that’s for another post 

To the egg yolks add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard, a pinch of salt and pepper, and a splash of vinegar. You can also add a sqeeze of lemon juice too if you want. Blend all these together to form a thick paste. Now start to add some cream (double or whipping), do it slowly and keep mixing. You don’t want the sauce too thick or too runny.

When you think it’s nearly at the right consistency, stop and do a taste test. Now is the time to add more mustard or pepper if your taste buds demand it. Finish off by adding a little more vinegar until you acheive the right consistency.

Of course if you don’t want to add more vinegar add a little more cream, as I said earlier this is a flexible recipe so make it how you like it.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 09:06:01 am »
Thanks, Laura!
I find the idea of using boiled yolks a bit funny, but then my mum used to make Russian eggs and the coinsistency was similar to salad cream.
Are your ducks laying yet? :&>

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 11:02:05 am »
Could you please let us know how you get on with the salad cream recipe? Very interested to know what it tastes like before I make any.

Thanks.

:)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:08 am »
I will , but am waiting for the ducks to lay - bigger yolks! ;D :&> :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS